What brand picks are using and the gauge?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Billy Moss, Oct 29, 2017.

1. davess23

davess23 Member

Dunlop Jazz III. These picks changed the way I play, because I can't hold onto anything else.

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

D’Andrea Pro Plecs. I bounce between the tiny teardrop, the 351 size, and the large rounded triangle.

They sound the closest to my fingerstyle sound. 1.5 mm thick, no “chirp.”

I first started using them on mandolin and now use them on acoustic and electric guitar. Fantastic picks.

3. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

I use tortoise shell, Blue Chip, and horn on acoustic. I keep Clayton and Dunlop in my stash for electric.

Jamie_Mitchell likes this.
  4. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

Dunlop Primetone 88mm. Coming across these a few years ago was a total revelation. Use the on both electric and acoustic.

5. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

For the past 15 yrs I only ever use a David Grisman's Dawg Mandolin pick. Since I started using Dawgs nothing compares. 1.5mm; these things are incredibly durable. Sometimes they can get bent, but that is the only negative.
    [​IMG]

6. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

BlueChip on everything. been using the same one for 3ish years. the one before i used for about 2 years straight. no wear, i just wanted a different shape.
    occasionally a Fender medium for certain strummy type things.

7. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

V-picks are all I use, there awesome.

8. RR59CMS

RR59CMS Member

Cool Picks ~ I use them all, thick thru thin.

9. rumstove

rumstove Member

For nearly 20 years I used Tortex greens .88 for everything. Then I went into an experimental mode with picks trying everything I could find. Now somehow I've ended up with red Jazz III or fingers for electric. For acoustic I primarily use fingers and sometimes Tortex orange .60.

10. lilian

lilian Member

11. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

It depends on the guitar and what I'm playing; if a tune just needs a strumming accompaniment I use Tortex .73 for a smoother, brighter tone. If flatpicking I prefer .88. Anything fatter and the brightness I prefer starts to suffer. My LJ6 is brighter than the LL16 so I mostly use .88 with that. I also sometimes use 'Alice' brand equilateral triangle cellulose .96 picks. Cheap but nicely finished with well-polished edges.

12. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf Silver Supporting Member

1mm Ultex for me these days, or 1mm (blue) Tortex.

13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

I rarely use a pick anymore, but when I do it is a special triangular one that Paul Richards gave me a few years ago.

14. GK34

GK34 Supporting Member

I use a BlueChip TP60 most of the time. I have a Dunlop Primetone 1.3 small triangle and a V Pick Traditional Light that I use sometimes as well.

15. dhodgeh

dhodgeh Silver Supporting Member

I go between a Bluechip TD60, and one of those Dunlop Primetone Sculpted Teardrops 1.5mm thick.

Tone wise, these two are pretty much the same. I will say the Bluechip's grip is far superior to the Dunlop to the point that I'll drill a few holes in the Dunlop to improve the grip.

For a change of pace, I'll use a Colosi Buffalo Horn pick that is 2.0mm thick.

D

16. Stardrake

Stardrake Member

For many many moons I preferred the Fender 355 (the Dorito pick) in Medium. Lately, I'm liking the Dunlop Ultex .73mm in the 346 shape (in-between the 351 and the Dorito). Still use the Fenders for serious strumming. (I'm mostly a strummer anyway, but there are degrees of strum!)

17. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Member

Dunlop 1.0 mm nylons. I have used them for so long I am not even sure why I like them. When I have to borrow a pick at a jam or gig if I lose mine, I can usually play with just about any standard shaped pick that is not super thin (I break them).

18. Mwoodbro

Mwoodbro Silver Supporting Member

I like the Dunlop Ultex .73 for electric guitar and the Ultex .90 or 1.00 for acoustic guitar.
    I like the feel and the sound.

19. Lo Blues

Lo Blues Member

Me too. Great sound. They are cheap so they wear really fast. But using all three points of the triangle extends the life of the pick. And again they're cheap so I always have a bunch around.

I may get a bluechip at some point when I think I won't loose it. I've used them when friends want to show them off to me. Super great picks.

20. RodTruss

RodTruss Member

.81mm anything
    just bought some ALICE for cheap