What bridge for a Gibson SG with a Lyre vibrola? Other setup suggestions welcome.

TwoToneGreen

I have a Gibson SG with a Lyre vibrola that I really like in terms of sound and ergonomics. It has a great one-piece body and weighs around 6.5lbs.

Unfortunately, like many Lyre-equipped Gibsons, the tuning is rather unstable. In my guitar's case, it goes out of tune with alarming frequency even when the vibrola isn't used.

I took it to a tech at the end of 2012 and he improved the break angle of the strings on to the bridge and worked on the nut - without replacing it - but he suggested that I might ultimately need to change the bridge to ensure tuning stability. Whether or not this is true, my SG's current tuning stability is frankly terrible. The tech is widely respected so I'm inclined to believe him. I don't think he just did a bad job.

I going to try getting it setup again as I really want to keep the guitar. Can anyone recommend a good bridge to replace its current Tune-O-Matic? Beyond that, what else might I change while I'm at it? Perhaps a new nut? Would bone or Graphtech be the best option? I believe the current nut is the stock Corian one, which, I understand, is next to useless.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:

TwoToneGreen

Thanks for that. Would you care to explain why?

Would simply replacing the saddles with Graphtech saddles potentially be another option? Instead of swapping the whole bridge, that is.

Tim Plains

My SG w/Maestro wasn't bad but would not stay in tune. I changed the nut to nylon and bought a Faber bridge. Stays in tune just great now. Faber sells ABR bridges that fit on Nashville studs. ABR-N. You may or may not need to buy the NSW KIT.

stormin1155

Silver Supporting Member
I have those Wilkenson rollers on several guitars. Very comfortable, sound good, cheap.. my favorite TOM-type bridge by far.

TwoToneGreen

These are interesting suggestions.

Are roller bridges really the way to go though?

What might I expect from a nylon nut instead of, say, bone?

jonahboo

the roller on I posted above is soo stupid cheap - try it - shipping takes 2 weeks but the price is dumb cheap - I've bought a total of 6

1 for my son's Gretsch Pro Jet
1 for my Bigsby Epi LP
1 for my modded SG w/ Master
and 2 more gold ones - 1 Firebird VII and my modded green g400
plus 1 more for later

12 bucks SHIIPED each!

kracdown

Custom User Title
Platinum Supporting Member
just get a really nice ABR-1 with the right nut work done it you'll be set...

TwoToneGreen

Is the TonePros AVR-2 just an updated version of the AVR-1 bridge design? Is it a direct replacement for the current Nashville bridge on my SG?

Can anyone comment on saddle material?

Noise Under The Floor

A happy-go-lucky chap, always dressed in black.
Platinum Supporting Member
Most of the issues with that setup is with the nut. A well cut and properly installed Graphtec nut helps a lot. I prefer their Tusq XL.

Waxhead

These are interesting suggestions.

Are roller bridges really the way to go though?

What might I expect from a nylon nut instead of, say, bone?
I put a Graghite nut & strings saddles in my SG.
It improved the Maestro lots :)
Improved guitar tone also.
Didn't replace the bridge

TwoToneGreen

I think that I will initially try the GraphTech nut and a new TonePros AVR-2 bridge. If that fails I might then consider different saddles.