1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

What bridge humbucker?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by taddertot, May 21, 2011.

1. taddertot

taddertot Supporting Member

I have a Tokai V that I'm gonna replace the bridge pup in. I have a 498T, a Lollar Imperial, a WCR Darkburst, or a Burstbucker 2. Any suggestions as to which to choose..or other brands???. I will use it for rock..Marshall JMP Master model MKII or 4 hole MKII's. Needs to take a boost and a TS808. I hate swapping pups..so, I'd like to do this once. Yeah right.:facepalm LOL.

2. 3th3r

3th3r Member

You can make any pup work with any type of music, depending on other equipment, playing and recording techniques, etc, etc, but for a simpler answer...The 498T will the hottest of the pups you listed, and it will be suitable for modern rock (and old school metal) type music. If by rock, you mean the 50s, 60s type, then any of the others will work better.

3. 92Standard

92Standard Member

The Darkburst all the way!!! Just put a set in my LP and they are just beyond words!!!

4. memiller

memiller Member

Since you'll be using overdrive and boost the pickup output is less important than the tone it puts out. Personally I think I'd use the Darkburst.

That said, I'd also try all four out. Swapping pickups isn't that hard once you do it thirty or fourty times. ;)

5. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I'd try the darkburst first.

6. 4styx

4styx Member

Definately the Darkburst.It'll cover early ZZ Top to Schenker.The Burstbucker is hotter but bright.I swapped a Burstbucker 2 for the Darkburst and found a huge improvement in tone.

7. taddertot

taddertot Supporting Member

I have Van Zants in my Orville (killer rock pups), and a Darkburst in the bridge of my LP standard. I was hoping to put the DB in my old Hamer (zebra)..maybe I should put the Lollar in my PRS. Or put a chrome cover on the DB and put it in the Tokai? Uugh..too many choices.