What Bridge on My 1995 LP Standard?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Guitar Josh, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I did a thorough cleaning on my 95 LPS last night, and noticed that the bridge is pretty much shot. Strings barely stay in the notches, the previous owner did a number on it.

I thought about moving to a TP bridge, but can't figure out if I have an ABR-1 or a Nashville TOM.

Can anyone help? What's the difference between the two anyway?

Thanks!!

2. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

Your '95 Standard should have a Nashville bridge.

3. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

4. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

If I remember right, the ABR1 has a wire that holds the saddles in, is narrower than the Nashville, and screws directly into the body. The saddle adjusting screws are typically facing the bridge pickup.

The Nashville doesn't need a wire to hold in the saddles, is wider than the ABR1, and screws into bushings in the body.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I do know that most Les Paul experts prefer the tone of the ABR1, but I haven't been able to compare them on identical guitars to see.

I think a far as current Les Pauls, only the Custom Shop reissue models come with the ABR1. Not 100% sure, but I think that's right.

5. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the ABR height-adjustment screws are screwed directly into the body whereas the Nashville screws sit in threaded sleeves in a fashion similar to the tailpiece. This makes it very easy to tell what bridge you have.

Also, the ABR bridge on my 2000 Classic is stamped "ABR-1" underneath it.