What bridge PU in my Edwards Jimmy Page?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vinceman, Apr 4, 2008.

1. vinceman

vinceman Member

Hi everybody!

I just came back from Singapore with an Edwards Jimmy Page model :BEER.
    BTW, my model seems to be heavier than another one I've tried in the past... not too much, but the guitar feels more balanced.

It is loaded with a neck '59 duncan and a bridge duncan custom.

I love the '59, but the custom has too much output to my taste.
    I'm looking for something more open, less compressed, I think between 8 and 9k, and still with bite, that would match the '59.

Maybe a bridge '59 would do the trick? I was thinking about a Suhr SSV, too.

Any suggestions?

2. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Hard to go wrong with the 59 bridge, or a pearly gates.

If you want boutique...my money's on a Wagner Godwood..

3. jowe

jowe Member

A Duncan Antiquity might work.

4. oscar100

oscar100 Member

5. tone4days

tone4days Member

lower the pickup height? turn the volume down?

but yeah, another '59 (bridge version) would actually be a quite happenin' pickup in that guitar (if it comes to that)

6. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

The custom's just too much for me. Used to love it, but I guess I rely more on the amp/pedal for gain. LOL

7. vinceman

vinceman Member

I've tried to lower the PU height, but it's still not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for something clearer. The custom sounds ok with high gain, but I work a lot with the volume pot, and too much output makes the sound too compressed and less workable.

8. Free

Free Member

Did you try putting the poles up high - 1/16" beyond the top of the pup? Then, adjust the high-e pole 1/16" (close for extra bite) and the low E around 3/32" (not too far away either). You'll lose fatness that way and get more brightness (and seeming clarity) - plus harmonics will be jumping off the pup. It's worth trying - really.

You can adjust the pickup height further away from the strings too, if you like that better. You'll lose attack and harmonics if you do though. Not sure what you prefer tonally...

9. vinceman

vinceman Member

Thank you Free !
    I've tried to raise the poles and lower the PU. the sound is brighter indeed...

but I think that the only way to get a more open, less compress sound is tu put a PU with lower output.

To Edwards JP model owners : What PU did you put in your guitars when (if) you changed them? Why?

10. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

According to Seymour himself, the closest thing to custom shop Page pups is a set of '59s.

You are halfway there :p

11. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

If you do get another '59 make sure to get the Shop Floor Custom model with 4 conductor wiring so you can still use your nifty Page controls.

12. vinceman

vinceman Member

I don't have the special wiring system on this guitar (doesn't matter to me).

I think I have to find a bridge '59 for a start...

13. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

I have '59s in my Hamer and really like 'em. Harmonics like to jump out of 'em. They're easy to find just make sure to get an uncovered one for the bridge if you want that Jimmy Page look.

14. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

I relpaced the SD's in my Edwards JP with unpotted, Alnico 4 Classic Coils from Smit's Parts - huge improvement in tone and feel, for very little cash (compared to other boutiques).

- Chris

15. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

I have the same guitar and tried a 59B, a Seth Lover and the custom. I settled on the seth. I feel it's really great in that guitar. it gives it this clairity that i just LOVE for chording. I have it pretty close to the strings to evan out the difference between it and the 59N. It also makes up a bit for the lack of bottom of the Seth.

I had the 59B in there for a while but it too seemed too compressed. Better than the custom but too mid-murky.

16. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I have a set of Lollars, Seymour Antiquities, Irish Bare Knuckle, and WCR Betts Set on my Parts Tele Pauls. All great , but there is something just a Bit more special about the Irish Bare Knuckles. Really a GREAT Pick up. I have them in my #1 strat as well and they rule. [​IMG]