What bridge pup to put in Am Std Tele?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EZchair Picker, Feb 4, 2015.

1. EZchair Picker

EZchair Picker Member

I have a 2011 Am std. Tele that has the stock deltatone pickups in it (before the broadcaster/twisted tele pups they get now). I love the neck pickup, but am wanting to change out the bridge pickup. It's not a bad by any means, but I was hoping to find something that sounds wider and fuller but still retains the classic tele tone. If I could find one that was noiseless, that would even be better! Any suggestions on what to look at dropping into it? From what I've read, maybe a 'broadcaster' style pickup might be what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

2. Viral_Rock

Viral_Rock Member

"Wide" and "full" are not words I'd use to describe my Duncan Broadcaster. It's all treble to my ears, and can't wait to get it out of my guitar. Lots of people love it though, so I guess it depends on how much high end you can tolerate. I play with a variety of fuzzes through mostly Fender amps, so it might be more even-sounding with amps that aren't quite as bright. Dimarzio Pre B1 is next for me.

3. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

Fralin Blues Special

Lollar Special

4. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

I have a Lollar Vintage T set in my American Standard and I think they're the best-sounding Tele pickups I've ever heard. They're very quiet and have that traditional Telecaster tone, but they can also really open up and rock too.

5. cacibi

cacibi Member

Best "all around" Tele pickup IMHO

Don Mare makes great tele pickups; my personal favorites for true vintage Tele sound, but he also makes a wind range of higher output options and various different vibes/flavors. Hard to go wrong with either brand.

6. Stephans

Stephans Member

I use a 52'reiss.pup (with copper base plate) and have a big real Tele sound

7. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

I also wanted something wider, fuller and noiseless in my USA Deluxe Tele bridge spot that still retained Tele-ness. I went with a Joe Barden 'Modern-T' and am very satisfied.

8. EZchair Picker

EZchair Picker Member

Definitely interested in the lollar vintage and special. Hadn't thought of a Fralin blues, but will check it out too.

The Barden Modern T's description sounded like what I am looking for, but I'm worried about it being too hot. How does it sound with the stock neck pickup? Does it overpower it?

Thanks for all the replies so far. TGP rocks! :aok

9. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

The Joe Barden Modern-T is quite powerful and will probably overpower a stock neck pickup. I paired mine with an Area-T neck and love the combo - plus it's eerily silent with zero hum or hiss. I personally think a bridge pickup should always be a bit hotter for extra versatility (bridge pup boosting for choruses/lead, neck pup more melllow for cleans/rhytmn), something Tele's do well.

Why not upgrade the neck pup then too?

10. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

To me, "wider" and "fuller," while still staying in Tele-Land, implies a single coil-sized bridge humbucker. In that case, I'd go with the DiMarzio Chopper T: it's a rail humbucker that gives you mini-humbucker level beef while still sounding like a Tele bridge pickup. Plus, if you wire it in parallel, it gets a real P90 vibe.

11. bluflames

bluflames Member

Wider and fuller can be fixed with technique if you're talking about strumming, but for single note lines, you'll probably want something like a rio grande dirty harry (which IMO sounded dark for any pickup) or a fat pole tele pickup (like the quarter pounder, but noiseless)

Dishonestly, I would go with a vintage, sub-6k thin-pole pickup with a steel baseplate.

Honestly, i would go with something from kinman or dimarzio. SD makes great single coils but I've never tried their stacks so I can't comment on those.

12. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Lil 59 and wire it up with a push pull pot for Series - parallel. Noiseless in both. Series will be your rock sound and parallel will be your Tele Twang sound. You'll dig them both :dude

[​IMG]

13. EZchair Picker

EZchair Picker Member

Wow, lots to take in!

I went to the dimarzio site and checked out some of the suggestions. Not sure the chopper and B1 would retain enough top end for me. Did look at the true velvet, fast track, area-t and area-t 615 and thought they looked promising. Anyone have experience with any of those four?

Might also take a look at the MDF pups G&L puts in their ASATs!

14. shock me

shock me Member

I have the Area T615 and Area T Neck in my CS Fender Tele. Both pickups sound great. The 615 retains that signature tele bridge treble without being harsh and when you dig in with dirt, it gets growly with balls and bite. The bridge and neck position together is just beautiful. No noise too!

15. rummy

rummy Member

This has been serving me very well.

16. Prizefighter

Prizefighter Supporting Member

This. I did the same thing to my Tele and am very happy. Still has a Tele vibe but bigger overall.

17. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Member

Take a look at the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder for Telecaster! I got the version with a wire tap, which allows me to use it as a slightly hotter normal tele like sound, or when not tapped it is super high output and sounds somewhat like a moderate/high output humbucker.

EDIT: If I remember right, their "Hot for Tele" model also can come with a coil tap...

18. EZchair Picker

EZchair Picker Member

Just wanted to post an update!

After researching everything suggested and listening to way too many clips :phones I contacted Dimarzio and went with the Area Hot T in the bridge and an Area T in the neck. I received then from GearTree and installed them yesterday.

Here's my initial impressions:
    The Hot T really hit the mark with what I was looking for and then some. I have the height adjusted just enough to give me the added fullness I wanted while still having plenty of tele twang. Lowering it give more of a vintage type sound and raising it give a more modern sound..... so it's pretty tweak-able. Playing clean country style sounded good and the upper register notes sound bigger and have more punch. Playing dirty is fuller and less peaky than stock, but still gives some tele bite when you dig into the strings.

The Area T neck is a very clear pickup. I have it adjusted fairly close to the strings and there is no mud at all. The stock pickup had more of a creamy sound that I liked, but it also lacked this kind of definition. Even if the Area T is a little more hifi sounding, it still sounds really good and I'm sure my ears will adjust over time. Individual notes do sound fuller overall and it's good for playing some jazzy lines.

Biggest surprise was the noiseless aspect! Wow! Absolutely nothing there what so ever. I did keep the leads as short as possible during install, so that may have helped. Regardless, it is very noticeable in a good way. Wish I would have went noiseless a long time ago.
    Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions! :aok