What bridges the gap between a Strat and a Les Paul?

metrokosmiko

Silver Supporting Member
Asking 'cause I got a Strat and a Les Paul now (never been more proud of a rig shot).

So what guitar, for you, bridges or fills the gap between a Strat and Les Paul? I know there are a myriad answers but I'd like to know what it is for you (and why!)

This is, ehr, totally unrelated to the fact that I'll be travelling to the US next year and definitely intend to go guitar shopping.

Last edited:

monty

I have a PRS se Custom 24 that does the trick. Buckers that split nice, trem, comfy like a Strat and neck through hog/maple top like a LP. Fantastic guitar.
My Wolfgang gets me there also but I added the coil split myself.

urQuill

Silver Supporting Member
I would not get another Tele just now, if you just sold one. Maybe wait a bit for that.

I had a PRS Sunburst 22 that was a great guitar. If the Strat bridge is important, then it’d be a great bridge between Strat & Les Paul; similar woods to the Les Paul, and a lacquer finish, but feather light and really cozy like a Strat, with 57/08 pickups that are terrific PAF-style pickups, lots of snap and very bright, with an excellent coil-tap switching trick to give a single-coil sound without a lot of noise or too much drop in level. The neck was too thin for me and I love a Strat’s longer scale length so it went away but I miss it, it was pretty special.

If the Les Paul hardware, and overall feel and set-up, is important, then a Les Paul of some kind with P-90s is the ticket. Maybe a Junior or Special, or something based on those stripped-down version. Something about the simplified models opens up possibilities, one case where less truly is more. Definitely consider the wrap-around bridge as well.

Stratburst70

I would look at the PRS DGT.

It has a 25” scale which is midway between a Strat and a Les Paul, dual humbuckers and volume controls, some of the better coil tap tones out there, a very good whammy, and the neck shape is very familiar to Strat players.

metrokosmiko

Silver Supporting Member
@urQuill a Strat tremolo is not really necessary. I've used the tremolo to add a chorus/vibrato effect to delay tails, but I did so with the edge of my palm. I never use the whammy bar on either my Strat and Chavel - and I have the tremolo basically decked on both. I'm very much at home on 'hardtail' guitars.

At the moment I have no guitar with a bridge single coil, so maybe a Tele is in the future (mine was a Nashville Deluxe). But I keep thinking of other options like a Reverend with p90s, a G&L Asat Special... Who knows. I feel like the Les Paul and Stratocaster are such extremes in the guitar spectrum that most guitars fall in between both.

Trending Topics