what cab for a fuchs/two rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mlynn02, Sep 10, 2005.

1. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

what kind of cabs do you all like with your fuchs or two rock style amp? i know the THD is popular, but what else?

what's the philosophy behind choosing a speaker for these amps. their voice has always seemed to me to be neither "american" nor "british".

in general: open back vs. closed back, speakers that are voiced dark or bright, transparent vs. colored? just trying to get an idea.

thanks,
    matt

2. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I've never heard neither cab but the best 2x12 I ever played was the Bogner w/ V30's.

My guess would be with that cab full of some really good speaks that would be Heavenly.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

sup matt,

bob burt, no question... and open back, too. closed back sound ok, but really put a strangle hold on the cleans, which need a nice open back to open up and breathe.

speaker wise, something Fender inspired is nice, and the Two Rock designed speakers are terrific. once they're broken in, its like a JBL meets Jensen meets EV fatness rolled into one.

but i like something w/ a big bottom end, and my Weber Michigan Alnico is too HUGE for words. along those lines, Tone Tubby Hemp "E" speakers are great, too. you tried them at that mini NJ fest at ScottL's.

and not to spam you, but i'm selling my TR upright 2x12 and 1x12 dirt cheap. let me know if you're interested.

4. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

Selling your TR 112? Please tell me more.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

you can shoot me a PM, RH, but i'd rather give mr. mlynn first dibs. thx...

6. clunk

clunk Member

I mentioned it on another thread. For primarily blues i love the sound of celestion 65's with my Two Rock. I have them in a closed back cab. I still have yet to try them out in an open back.

Clunk

7. onemind

onemind Member

Richard, Am I to assume you have seller's remorse? It's a cliche here already but Avatar leads in the bang for the buck category, I have one with a Private Jack and a V30, quite nice, open back.

Steve

8. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

this is truly one of the best sounding cabs I've ever heard in my life. It sounds killer with just everything I've played through it. I have been in absolute heaven with my Fuchs ODS30SLX matched with this cab!! Sounds fantastic and I am playing a VERY wide variety of styles through this rig and loving everything it has deliviered. Celestion Blues have been my favorite for a LONG time and this particular cab just seems to be better suited to them than just about any I've ever heard. And like a said it's a perfect match for the Fuchs IMHO.:)

9. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

pm sent on the TR 2x12...

these are great suggestions guys!

i'm planning on running a two amp rig with the fuchs of TR set up as a dedicated lead tone. so i'll probably want at most a 2x12 for portability. i'd love to get that smooth "learner" tone, but my band is jam-rock and bluesy so i've also got to be able to get those tones as well. i also occasionally have to cut through a mix that has up to 3 drummers/percussionists, so headroom is essential.

thanks!

10. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Dude! Don't sell the Fuchs ODS short until you give one a whirl at length. My ODS will rock with the best of them and I'm an old plexi freak from way back. Trust me, there's a sh*t pile of tone and versatility in those amps.:dude

11. scottl

scottl Member

Just because I go for that smooth tone doesn't mean the amp can't do dirty... Both Frankenstrat and RH have SLX amps that are identical to mine. In their hands, the amps do exactly what they hear. Amazing how the amp transforms to fit exactly your needs.

I shot you an email btw....

How is Atlanta treating you??

Scott

12. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

This is a timely topic. I just got my GDS 100 W a couple days ago and am playing with it with different cabinets. I've got a Bogner 2x12 shiva cabinet, but I pulled the V30s and put in Tonkers. I also have a Two Rock 2x12 with the TR65s. So far, I'd say I like the Two Rock a touch better. The Tonkers are very lively with this amp, perhaps too much. This is a good thing, because with my Guytron, I like the sound of the Bogner cabinet better than the Two Rock. So far, I'd say the Two Rock cabinet gets my vote for the GDS 100 w--I presume this would be similar for a Fuchs/Two Rock.

13. scottl

scottl Member

So how is it??? Inquiring minds want to know!!

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

cool, jack,

yea, all pine cabs ROCK w/ these mumbly amps.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

PM's sent left and right... :D

16. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

Have a question, are G12Hs good speakers to go with a Fuchs ODS? or celestion's 65s are better?

17. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Last night with my GDS, I tried a cabinet with a G12H30 and a Red Fang. It sounded really good. A little raunchier than the TR 65s, but still nice and articulate.

18. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

SO you think that with the 65s it will be smoother vs the G12Hs

19. aeolian

aeolian Member

G12H's don't handle that much power. But ToneGuru's has a TR 2-12 with them that sounds heavenly. Very rich and balanced. My Tonker loaded 2-12 is more present and has a more noticable "mumble" lower mid hump. When I had C65's it was noticably more nasal sounding, the hump was further up. I think the TR 65 copies are tamed a bit. After playing TG's 1-12 Burt cab with the Tonespotter, I think two of those in a D-style 2-12 would be nice as well. I think RF is playing with these and can't make up his mind between the presence and attack of the Tonkers and the sweetness of the Tonespotters.

I'm a big fan of oval ported back, solid pine cabs with these amps. That's how they were originally tuned. You can change the character using different cab designs, but if you bought it to do that classic D-tone, then this is the cab style that works with it.

20. Mike

Mike Member

Thanks for the mention Aeolian. Two Tonespotters actually have unseated my two H30's as the new kings of the 2x12 heap.

That said, a customer recently put a Tonker in the bottom, and the Spotter in the top, and he's jumped out a window he's so happy with the result. I haven't heard it yet, but I told him I thought that could be the best of all worlds, and so he tried it.

Mike

P.S. - 2xH30's sounded better to me and a few others, than 2xCelestion 65's (old, "good" ones).