What can I do to get a little more bite from my Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by S.A.M., May 19, 2006.

1. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Can I change a Pot, or Cap in my 2002 Les Paul Standard to get some more bite. AFAIK everything is stock in it now. Or do I need to change pickups?

2. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I'm not sure whats in there. I'm assuming they're stock, whatever that is.

3. has-sound

has-sound Member

I suggest going with 1 Meg volume pots. They will give you more presence and a little hotter output.

Stan

4. loudguitarz

loudguitarz Member

5. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

So the 50s wiring should have a little more bite? Any idea why they changed the way they wired their guitars?

6. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

Without getting technical...the 50's wiring sounds better but the volume taper is weird. Try it. Maybe removing pickup covers. That will open it up a bit. Increase highend and bit.

7. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I was told you can't remove the pickup covers, and even if you did that they wouldn't look very nice. Was I miss informed?

8. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

Like the old man used to say...they sure as @#$% didn't grow on there!!
    Just kidding. Yes, they can be removed but could be dissasterous .
    Here is a quick and easy that I just thought of....raise the screws about an eighth of an inch and lower the whole pu. This will give you more of the single coil effect from a humbucker. You can also experiment with angles as well

9. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

10. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

+1 on the RS guitar works volume and tone control pots. They sound great and the liner taper pots do wonders for lettin' you ride the volume knob and not the stomp boxes.

I removed the pup covers on my first LP and it wasn't that hard. There's usually two solder spots on each pup. All you gotta do is remove those and pull the cover.

What amp are you running your LP into? I have a 2004 LP STD and a Soldano HR50+ and I got mountains of top end on tap if I need it. I wonder if you amp is the culpret and not the pups.

Steve

11. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I'm running a Marshall SIlver Jubilee 2555 into a Avatar 412 loaded with Eminece v12s. I find if I turn up my treble or presence (settings P 3:00, B 1:00, M 1:00, T 11:30, Master 1:00, Lead 3:30, Input Max) anymore than I have them already I don't like the tone. Overall I like my tone, I just want a little more bite. I've thought about trying different speakers, and/or different pickups.

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Which pickups does it have? Try a set of Burstbuckers. They can usually be found for a very reasonable price (used on TGP), and are full of brightness and bite.

13. Junior

Try turning the input down to about 2:00, and put the master all the way up.

I think it IS your amp; you've found the maximum input level the clipping diodes can take before gettng nasty. If you like what you've got, try more efficient speakers.

14. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

You're definitly into compression stage of the preamp with the pre up that much. The tones gonna start to compress and that will pull back on some of the top end. Try pulling the pre down and the post up. That will open up the sound more and and let the top end come thru better.

Here's another thought. The best tone I get with my LP and Soldano, is with new strings. I change them before every practice. I can hear the top end roll off while I am playing as the strings get more and more gunked up. How often to you change strings?

Maybe you just really like a whole ton of top end too, but
    you certainly have an amp that should give up lots of top end though.

Steve

15. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

One last thing too......I find most closed back cabs attinuate (squash) top end. That's why I use an open back 2x12.

Now that I've thought about it more. I'll bet your cab is squashing the top end. Your LP and that Marshall should give up TONS of top end.

Steve