What can I use for stick velcro on my pedals ??

hades_1123

I buy my first pedalboard and I'm not sure what can I use for that, I was thinking in putting some points of superglue in the corner of the pedals. I just don't want to have problems when I have to remove the velcro. What did you use guys ??

MBT74

The best advice I read (on this forum I think) was to cut small squares of velcro and leave the cover on it (ie don't expose the sticky part of the velcro). Make a hole in the middle of the square of velcro big enough for the screws of the pedal and simply screw the velcro square to the base of the pedal.

Then when you want to remove the velcro you can just unscrew it and take it off without taking the paint off the pedal base.

Heady Jam Fan

He meant that you can buy velcro with an adhesive side. One side is velcro, one side is glue.
^^ yep, that. In fact, I think it would be harder to find non-stick velcro?

I like the screw on idea too, but I am not going to go through that trouble I don't think. Honestly, when I get used pedals with velcro, at least I don't have to do it myself, so I don't feel like it is a problem to have it on there.

EDIT: lol, ps, i get the fact that the loops stick to the latches... it would be pretty pointless if you had to glue/tape that side I guess.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
The screw thing works really well actually; in fact, it works best if you go to a craft store or hardware store and buy velcro strips that are meant to be sewn on (have no sticky side). This is the approach I'm going with now. I use long, thin strips that go from the top to bottom on each side; the screw keeps it on and if I want to later, can sell a pedal that is essentially mint.

hades_1123

^^ yep, that. In fact, I think it would be harder to find non-stick velcro?

I like the screw on idea too, but I am not going to go through that trouble I don't think. Honestly, when I get used pedals with velcro, at least I don't have to do it myself, so I don't feel like it is a problem to have it on there.

EDIT: lol, ps, i get the fact that the loops stick to the latches... it would be pretty pointless if you had to glue/tape that side I guess.
Damn!!! I never hear about the adhesive one. I actually buy a lot of inches of non-stick velcro. :brick

I think, I'm going to use the screw idea. Adhesive velcro is hard to find here. Lame !!!

If I was to attach industrial strength velcro to my pedals with 2-4 screws only...the first time I removed that pedal it would rip the velcro off the screws...industrial strength velcro is a hell of a strong bond, and the entire strip of velcro needs to be attached to the pedal or board...otherwise it just peels up...

Heady Jam Fan

Damn!!! I never hear about the adhesive one. I actually buy a lot of inches of non-stick velcro. :brick

I think, I'm going to use the screw idea. Adhesive velcro is hard to find here. Lame !!!
Yea... you can order some, I know SKB's website sells it pretty cheap.

niclake13

That 3M locking stuff is brutal. I put 4 pieces on my volume pedal, because that's all the hardware store had at the time. I seriously cannot take that thing off. At all.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Cut squares of Dual Lock, screw them into the baseplates using the existing screws. Keeps them on tight, totally reversible, won't have to remove existing feet either. Works with nasty boss and ibanez pedals too, since the screw anchors for the baseplates are hiding inside the battery covers (in my AD80 anyhow).

As said above, 3M is brutal. So keep the surface area small via 4 small squares so you can still pry them off.

boogiejem

I tried the sticky backed version of velcro tape and if you ever want to move any pedals the velcro bond is stronger than the glue bond so it just peels off the back of the pedal! I ended up using some super glue to attach the velcro again and this seems to work - not sure I will ever be able to remove it though!

jay42

Before adhesive backed velcro was easily found in the US, I tried a bunch of glues. I hate to say it, but expoxy worked the best. Rubber cement tended to fail sooner.

The answer is to set aside the velcro you've bought and find a source for either adhesive backed velcro or the 3M dual lock. My only warning about the dual lock is, you need to commit to where the pedals go, because it's much more difficult to separate than velcro.

I put the hook side of velcro on the pedal and use industrial carpet -- the kind that covers PA equipment. DAP contact cement for carpet to plywood. hth

guitarpkr67

Silver Supporting Member
I tried the sticky backed version of velcro tape and if you ever want to move any pedals the velcro bond is stronger than the glue bond so it just peels off the back of the pedal! I ended up using some super glue to attach the velcro again and this seems to work - not sure I will ever be able to remove it though!
You need to make sure you have a clean surface when you stick the velcro. I've been using it for years and have only had the sticky side come of a few times. And I move my pedals around a lot!

niclake13

For the record, I just lifted my entire pedalboard (PT-Pro) out of the case by the volume pedal. The one affixed by 3M. That stuff is STRONG.

jay42

You need to make sure you have a clean surface when you stick the velcro. I've been using it for years and have only had the sticky side come of a few times. And I move my pedals around a lot!
One of the oddball things I know about is setup time for industrial adhesives. For the adhesive backed velcro, you must wait 24 hours before pulling it off a pedalboard. You really should weigh the pedal down on a flat surface for the first day and resist the temptation to plop it on your board. Don't even think about applying it to the rubber bottom of a Boss pedal. You need a flat smooth surface.

Trending Topics