What can make what I already have sound better?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AdamRandall, May 18, 2011.

1. AdamRandall

AdamRandall Member

Right now I am running the following:

m9
    WF rat
    Marshall guvnor II
    Flashback
    Hall of fame
    CC trem
    CC fuzz

I have the marshall guvnor completely clean and use as a boost because it sounds like bees in a can otherwise. I'm on the list for a tim so I'll have OD covered, and I'm possibly trading someone to get an OCD and analogman hi cut dd-5.
    I am using random patch cables but I'm going to get a couple lava mini ELC kits and fix that.
    When I use the m9 combined with distortion it just sounds a little thin, and I'm having trouble getting all my levels equal and everything so I don't step on a pedal that gets really loud and scares the crap out of me.
    I think that once my signal gets through all of the pedals, it sounds a little week, and it's making my rat sound "processed."
    Any fixes for a more organic sound?

2. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I always find a great amp is the foundation for a great sound. If you have great pedals but a crap amp, it's not going to give you the results you'd like.

3. AdamRandall

AdamRandall Member

Workin' on that one, but I like the sound of my guitar straight to amp or through minimal effects.

4. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

t1m buffer. Magic for $40 in a small package.

5. amphead777

amphead777 Member

That's the definition of what a Klon's supposed to do.

6. AdamRandall

AdamRandall Member

yeah, but I'm not made of money. I like the buffer idea, but I'm not exactly sure what a buffer is...? I'm new to pedals, but from what I gather, it just sort of pushes the signal along, thus making it stronger at the end like nothing is lost?

7. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Essentially. Works wonders.

8. AdamRandall

AdamRandall Member

Works out since I was planning on ordering a t1m boost eventually anyway. The marshall guvnor was given to me, and to put it simply, just...blagh.
    Does the buffer just go wherever you want it to?

9. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

HAHAHA

I think MFX have a likelihood of, for lack of better words and detailed description, sounding ******. Some people swear by them, but most companies that make them, I am not a fan of, might consider a few of their single units (maybe modded ones), but would you want a full set of them? Also, the MFX effects don't always match the individual ones. They usually sound processed to me and thin, even without speaker sim turned out, they tend to voice a bit midrange, which I think jumps out at a consumer when you plug it in and turn on a preset, but you soon learn better. What effects are you running also, some may not play friendly before distortion. With your pedal list, I suspect that if you use modulation or time based effects, it is coming from the M9, which is not ideal if distortion comes after it. With that said, send wet effects to a separate speaker! [see below] Guitar straight into amp is most organic, few boost/ods to heat things up is still cool, adding other effects starts to get muddy etc. If you have your core tone on one speaker and your wet effects on another, you still get organic, plus something interesting, think sauce on the side.

:agree
    I put a new OT and Speaker in my Blues Junior and it kicks ass, only costs about $470 if you get the amp used and you can put in the OT your self.

10. AdamRandall

AdamRandall Member

It's mostly the od's and distortions and such from the m9. I think I'll just accept that it's good for some things, put it at the end of my chain, and use it for some delay, rhythmic trem, wah, pitch shifting, etc, which all sound fine to me.

For those interested, I'm upgrading from my ex-metalhead peavey xxx to a voc AC15. =]

11. QuantumFlux

QuantumFlux Member

Do you use / have you tried a good compressor?

12. lando014

lando014 Member

13. lando014

lando014 Member

But someone said the best foundation is a to get a good amp...100% true. Your pedals aren't supposed to be your sound or tone...They should enhance the tone you get from your amp...

...If you have a good amp, mess around with your guitar and amp until you get the tone you want, then add one pedal at a time to your chain and dial each one in the way you want it to sound. If you can't get a sound you like from it, just get rid of the pedal.

14. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

...lessons?
    :sarcasm
    or use less pedals. Seriously, I'm always removing the bad sounding ones. Not a fan of buffers.

15. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

Practice? Seriously, see if you can make the sounds you imagine with the guitar unplugged. The amp/ effects work with what input you give them.

16. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Member

I'd get a Fromel Shape EQ - it has a switchable buffer and the EQ controls are top notch.

17. tjs

tjs Senior Member

I'll second this. You don't need to spend a ton of money on an original - a good clone will do just fine.

I never cease to be amazed at how my Klone makes just about every other dirt pedal I have sound better. If the pedal is too thin and wimpy, I run the Klone into it and bam - instant balls. If the pedal is too thick and muddy, I run it into the Klone and bam - instant clarity and cut.

It's so good at making my other pedals sound better that I'm often tempted to hang onto a pedal that I otherwise wouldn't, just because the combination sounds so good.

18. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

M9 can be switched from True Bypass to Buffer with a simple setting change.

Test it out to see if this helps and reconsider the ordering of your (analogue and digital) FX chain.

The stomps in the M9 (I own the HD500 and have owned a M13) are its weak point IMHO.

I personally think the Tube Comp, TS and Tube Drivers are the best models and don't sound that digital. Plus they tend to not destroy you bottom end or turn your tone into fizz.

I think a quality clean boost like a Creation Audio Lab Mk 4.23 in conjunction with the Tim and M9 and you should have a pretty decent sounding rig.

You might get a big shock moving from a XXX to an AC30...you could wonder where all your bass went (I love and have owned an AC30 but they are quite different amps).

19. airforce_brian

airforce_brian Member

Its probably the M9 that is killing your tone. I have been trying to like my M9 for a couple of months now but it changes my amp tone too much. Even bypassed it adds some digital element to the sounds that i don't like. The quality of the processing isn't great either.

20. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

How about a good guitar? That plays in just as much! Since getting my Les Paul Traditional, I have noticed that I don't need a board full of effects much anymore.

Care to mention what you are using and what kind of music you are playing?