• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What can you guys tell me about the USA Dean Hardtails?

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
I remember when they first came out about 10 years ago, but it seems they disappeared pretty quickly. Now they offer the import version, but I'm looking for history and details on the original USA models with the deluxe inlays and ebony fretboards. Thanks!

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know much about the history, I think they were made by US custom guitars and not Dean directly. I will say the ones I played were incredible. Great necks and killer pick ups.

clmazza

Gold Supporting Member
These are stellar instruments! I bought one of the first (if not the VERY first) one available from dealers. I subsequently purchased six more and still have four.

They were built with some of the finest woods available at the time.... picked and set aside by Dean Z himself. I believe when he returned to the company as a consultant back in 2000/2001, he set his mind on reviving the old Z, V and ML as well as creating a more traditional guitar aimed at competing with PRS.... the Hardtail.

I believe Dean (the Company) accomplished this but sadly, not many of the original run Hardtails are appreciated. Not many USA models were built....

If you can get your hands on one.... grab it! You won't be disappointed :)

My first one.... still killer and getting better with age :)

Jef Bardsley

I don't know much about the history, I think they were made by US custom guitars and not Dean directly. I will say the ones I played were incredible. Great necks and killer pick ups.
The rep wouldn't tell us who, but he did say they leased an "unused production line of a major manufacturer" to produce the Hardtails. They were very nice guitars. Sadly, though, not what the typical Dean customer was looking for.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
"Unused production line of a major manufacturer"? That doesn't sound like it could be USCG. Considering the timeframe, maybe HAMER?

wstoll

They were designed by Dean Z and made by US Masters, as were most of the US Deans until 2007ish, when they started up their own Custom Shop in Tampa.

Tuckerpig

I have had a US Hardtail since 2003. This is still my go to guitar. The are beautifully built and sound stellar. They do have a little weight to them, but mine especially is very resonate. If you can find one I would definitely give it a good test drive.

One thing to remember the original cases had a problem with the glue used to adhere the liner to the case. It would "gas" and haze the chrome on the pickups. Well known problem and was only cosmetic.

cmatthes

Silver Supporting Member
"Unused production line of a major manufacturer"? That doesn't sound like it could be USCG. Considering the timeframe, maybe HAMER?
No way in hell.

Hamer "Ghost Built" the Gretsch/TV Jones Spectrasonics from that era, but they weren't a big shop at all back then.

IPLAYLOUD

Gold Supporting Member
I remember years ago they showed every one on their website and what store it was in. Beautiful guitars, there was a "Blue Faded Denim (?) that was really nice.

Trending Topics