What can you tell me about this old Fender amp ?

hippieboy

A friend gave it to me a loong time ago I've had it stored for a long time and almost never use it, it says Musicmaster Bass on the front, I don't know the year or anything about it, It sounds ok, a bit scratchy on the pots (I'm cleaning it) and it doesn't have much low end, still useful for some applications, I'm gonna start using it again and figured why not ask TGP about it.

So, what can you tell me about it?

Here are some pics.

eJc5nF5.jpg

WXVLop8.jpg

9mMexJi.jpg

Raimond

It’s definitely 70s, after 73 since the logo is “tailless” it was originally for bass, I’m afraid that’s all I know, it reminds me of a bigger version of my 73 Champ, I believe these are 12 watts, a speaker upgrade would probably go along way, also would get the power cord updated so ya don’t get shocked. I’m afraid that’s all I got, love these old school little fenders true work horses and are versatile from country to blues to grunge if ya got the proper pedals!

Last edited:

hippieboy

It’s definitely 70s, after 73 since the logo is “tailless” it was originally for bass, I’m afraid that’s all I know, it reminds me of a bigger version of my 73 Champ, I believe these are 12 watts, a speaker upgrade would probably go along way, also would get the power cord updated so ya don’t get shocked. I’m afraid that’s all I got, love this old school little fenders true work horses and are versatile from country to blues to grunge if ya got the proper pedals!

Thanks! there's some gritt and some nice tones in there, not much low end though which is weird for a bass amp hehe I guess it's because the size and speaker.

Thank you very much!

fiveightandten

Silver Supporting Member
Cool amp. I’d take the speaker out and save it. That tiny little magnet isn’t doing any wonders for the low end if you find it lacking. Put in a 12” speaker of your choice, a 3 prong power cord (if it doesn’t have one), remove the death cap from the power input and rock it.

hippieboy

Cool amp. I’d take the speaker out and save it. That tiny little magnet isn’t doing any wonders for the low end if you find it lacking. Put in a 12” speaker of your choice, a 3 prong power cord (if it doesn’t have one), remove the death cap from the power input and rock it.

Thanks for the advice, I'm so bad with doing stuff like that though! I'd love to take it to someone that can do it, however in my country I'm not sure who I could take it to. Is it hard to do those changes?

fiveightandten

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the advice, I'm so bad with doing stuff like that though! I'd love to take it to someone that can do it, however in my country I'm not sure who I could take it to. Is it hard to do those changes?
You need a soldering iron, and to know how to solder. But as far as soldering goes, they’re very easy tasks.

It’s possible for you to change the speaker without soldering. You could cut the wires right at the speaker and put crimp connectors on to the ends, which would just slip on the terminals of the new speaker.

hippieboy

Basically a Princeton.

Really ? what are the differences?

You need a soldering iron, and to know how to solder. But as far as soldering goes, they’re very easy tasks.

It’s possible for you to change the speaker without soldering. You could cut the wires right at the speaker and put crimp connectors on to the ends, which would just slip on the terminals of the new speaker.

Sounds easy enough! which speaker do you recommend? also, regarding the 3 prong power cord and death cap from the power input how hard is that?

billyguitar

It's probably never seen a tech. I would get someone to go thru it and be sure the components haven't drifted far and clean the tube sockets and pots. Then get a better speaker. If it won't rock out enough use a pedal to boost it

mlj_gear

Thanks! there's some gritt and some nice tones in there, not much low end though which is weird for a bass amp hehe I guess it's because the size and speaker.

Thank you very much!

In addition to a different speaker, replacing the electrolytic capacitors might help the bass response some. If they have never been replaced, the electrolytic caps are quite old at this point.

Benny

Platinum Supporting Member
Tomo Fujita is a proponent of these, and gets some lovely sounds out of them. They at least used to be pretty cheap, and a pair made a great base for a low-moderate volume stereo rig.

mlj_gear

also, regarding the 3 prong power cord and death cap from the power input how hard is that?

It's not hard, but unlike replacing the speaker, it requires taking the chassis out, and you don't want to go poking around in there for any reason until you've read up on discharging electrolytic capacitors and know how to do things safely. Getting zapped is not fun.

hippieboy

It's probably never seen a tech. I would get someone to go thru it and be sure the components haven't drifted far and clean the tube sockets and pots. Then get a better speaker. If it won't rock out enough use a pedal to boost it

I'm sure it has never seen a tech. I'd love to find a tech in my country but I'm not sure there is one that works on amps like this.

In addition to a different speaker, replacing the electrolytic capacitors might help the bass response some. If they have never been replaced, the electrolytic caps are quite old at this point.

Thanks! I'd love to find a tech that can work on this.

Tomo Fujita is a proponent of these, and gets some lovely sounds out of them. They at least used to be pretty cheap, and a pair made a great base for a low-moderate volume stereo rig.

Thanks, any clips of tomo using it?

hippieboy

It's not hard, but unlike replacing the speaker, it requires taking the chassis out, and you don't want to go poking around in there for any reason until you've read up on discharging electrolytic capacitors and know how to do things safely. Getting zapped is not fun.

Thanks and yes it totally makes sense, its one of the reasons I never work on things like this haha.

mlj_gear

Looks like it already has quick connect connectors on it; no need to cut anything.

mlj_gear

A couple more tidbits: the speaker is an Oxford produced during the 26th week of 1978. The serial number on the chassis is from 1976. Transformer codes are often better for dating Fender amps, though (presuming that the transformers are original).

hippieboy

A couple more tidbits: the speaker is an Oxford produced during the 26th week of 1978. The serial number on the chassis is from 1976. Transformer codes are often better for dating Fender amps, though (presuming that the transformers are original).

Hey thank you very much!

HotBluePlates

Basically a Princeton.
Really ? what are the differences?

The statement was incorrect.

It kind of seems like it should be similar to a tweed Princeton because it has a single Volume & Tone control, like the tweed Princeton.

But the output stage is a pair of 6V6s. That kinda seems like a blackface/silverface Princeton, where the tweed would have a single 6V6. There's no negative feedback around the power section (late tweed & all brown, black and silver Princetons have that), and the power supply has a solid-state rectifier (all old Princetons use a rectifier tube).

The Tone control is a kind of unusual design as well, and there is an interstage transformer instead of an electronic phase inverter.

It's just its own, unusual thing.

daveg777

Platinum Supporting Member
Back in the early 2000's, I sent a minty Musicmaster chassis to David Allen for a few mods to get the most out of the amp. Changed out the stock speaker for a vintage Jensen P12P, used NOS 6V6G's and RCA 12AX7. Played beautifully and eventually sold it to Kenny Blue Ray.
MISS THAT AMP!

Dave

Trending Topics

Top Bottom