1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

what cap should i get for my jcm 800?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by yoyohomieg5432, Feb 11, 2008.

1. yoyohomieg5432

yoyohomieg5432 Member

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

With all due respect, just take it to a tech man! Thats a KILLER amp you have there and if you don't know how to fix it, you could do more damage and you still won't know if everything else is up to par. I know, it seems you have a desire to do this yourself but believe me, the peace of mind you will get from knowing the amp is 100% ready to rock for years to come is worth a few hundred, if that, dollars.

If your goal is to learn about amps there are inexpensive kit amps for begginers. If the goal is to have one of the best rock amps ever made and know it's running as well as it can, take it to a qualified tech.

Please don't take offense, just giving the best advise I can come up with in this case. :AOK

3. booj

booj Member

I guess you mean pot. The first website shows circuit board mount style pots. Not what you need. The 2nd site shows the layout of your amp. The pots are mounted to the front panel, not the circuit board. Those are called panel mount potentiometers. Music stores that carry Korg products can get them for you.

4. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
  5. yoyohomieg5432

yoyohomieg5432 Member

i meant to say pot, im sorry.

groovey, always bringing a brother down :'(

6. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Yo Bro it 's not about bringing you down. You need to realize AC/DC deserves respect and its not a thang you can just do without a thorough understanding of whats going on in the circuit,

It's not swaptronics it's ELECTONics. I've seen a brother lose a finger it turned into a shriveled black stub that had to be amputated. Dig ?

Saw people thrown across the room and up against a wall.

Worse seen them pulled into the circuit and have to be pulled off with a grounded hook. Serious DOA sh*t man.

Hey more power to you if you want to learn. Swapping out caps in a circuit you have no comprehension of what precedes the cap and what the output should be is not where to begin.

Ask yourself do I know how to safely protect myself before I begin?

It's called Theory and Practice

Not pratice and whoops sorry damn ow sh*t I meant to freak!

How much of the advice already given have you followed. ?

Practice your High reliability soldering yet ?

Read the theory behind that?

Get the right cleaner?

figure out how to drain a cap?

I mean you keep asking the same question but hav'nt got the terminology in your own mouth straight

Before I asked where you live so maybe you could find a relible tech in your area who could bench check your amp and diagnose the problem or do all the work and bring it up to full speed good as new.

patience man'
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread

Just trying to bring a brother up
    Groovey Records

7. yoyohomieg5432

yoyohomieg5432 Member

do u know of a good tech in the chicago land area?

im going to take it to a tech, but i dont know who. there is a guy about 10 minutes from me, he does work on lots of amps/guitars. he probably isnt 'marshall certified' if thats what im supposed to be looking for.

i dont really trust him too much either, i brought a guitar to him before and he tries to find things wrong with it to charge more $.

i think make n' music has a tech branch in their store, but thats an hour drive for me and would prefer not to have to go that far. they are probably very expensive and booked as well.

8. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Start another thread asking for a tech in Chicago.

9. jay42

jay42 Member

I think the pot backs are connected with a buss wire, so changing them takes a bit of technique and the right tools.

10. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

new thread started