What Carr Amp is right for me?

jmelm

Gold Supporting Member
That guitar is awesome!!! I'd love to give one of those a try! Did you buy that Thornton guitar or one like it??
I've bought 9 CP Thornton guitars and may be on the verge of buying another :hide

Yes, they are THAT good. Best guitar discovery I've ever made in my life, and an absolute STEAL for how good they are (even if they're not cheap).

PM me if you want to know more.

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
Why did they discontinue the Lincoln? I thought the demos sounded great but never played one...so what do I know? :dunno
They must not have sold enough to justify continued production? I auditioned a Lincoln and immediately dialed in very nice "Voxy" tones in Ch1, but the OD channel wasn't as intuitive to dial in with just a tone knob. I also found it to be loud even in the 6w setting for home use.

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
The Bee is the first one that came along in years that I don’t have much interest in. Every demo I’ve heard of it sounds a bit too bright for me - seems very fitting for country though (also seems weird that nearly none of these demos are using a Les Paul.. it’s all Strat or single coil). I know it can do a lot more but that top end is just too much for me. Not giving up my Skylark anytime soon :p
I played one and I was surprised at the warmth and non harsh tones in this thing. That and how easy a couple of modes got to break up really surprised me. I don't think this is your typical high headroom blackface style amp. Again, Steve Carr put's his spin on it and comes out with something pretty unique.

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
The Bee is the first one that came along in years that I don’t have much interest in. Every demo I’ve heard of it sounds a bit too bright for me - seems very fitting for country though (also seems weird that nearly none of these demos are using a Les Paul.. it’s all Strat or single coil). I know it can do a lot more but that top end is just too much for me. Not giving up my Skylark anytime soon :p
The Bee can be dialed in to sound as bright or dark as you want with its very effect tone stack. It's blackface inspired, but offers great and unique sounds in all 3 modes. I am finding several fantastic sounds with "Non Typical" EQ settings. It must be played to be fully appreciated!

Last edited:

MHG

Slightly off topic, but has any Impala combo owners ever successfully swapped the Elsinore speaker for a Celestion Cream Alnico? I emailed Steve and he seems to think that it 'might' fit as they had tried an Alnico speaker in an Impala in the past, but I just want to be 100% sure before I order one.
I think someone here mentioned that it doesn't fit, but I'm not 100% sure on that. It was probably my overall favorite speaker for that amp, but I had the head version.

The great thing about the Impala is that is sounds amazing with a large variety of speakers........both American and British. I used the following speakers with mine, and it sounded amazing with all of them. So you can push it in many different directions by using different types of speakers. The Impala is extraordinarily versatile in that regard.

- WGS G12C/S
- Cream
- WGS Black & Blue
- Scumback J75
- WGS 12L
- WGS Veteran 10
- Tone Tubby Purple Haze
- Celestion Ruby

jmelm

Gold Supporting Member
stahhhhhhhp:p
In all seriousness, I spoke to Chuck yesterday to get an update on my upcoming one that is due in late July. He mentioned that he only has a few of the Nootka bodies left in stock (like 4 or 5 max) because he’s had such a run on orders of late. It will be about a year before he gets more of that wood in again. So now is as good a time as any! :dude

Red Baron

I enjoy both my Original Mercury and Rambler. The Rambler definitely sounds bigger, but the OG Merc sounds BIG for an 8w amp and has the advantage of built in attenuator. The OG Merc also offers nice "Marshall Like" drive tones in Boost 2 & 3 which are completely unattainable from the Rambler. Very different amps!
I wasn't overly impressed with the attenuator presets on my Merc and found it hard to find a sweet spot in the lower settings that sounded just right. It did overdrive nicely but lacked oomph (which I don't really expect from any single ended amp), and I can make the Rambler sound a lot more Marshall-like with a J Rockett Animal pedal in front of it, but yes, very different amps.

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
I wasn't overly impressed with the attenuator presets on my Merc and found it hard to find a sweet spot in the lower settings that sounded just right. It did overdrive nicely but lacked oomph (which I don't really expect from any single ended amp), and I can make the Rambler sound a lot more Marshall-like with a J Rockett Animal pedal in front of it, but yes, very different amps.
Yes, I hear you on the limitations of the stepped attenuator of the Original Mercury especially for OD tones. I believe the attenuator design of the Original Merc was the foundation for variable attenuator designs that came later with Skylark, Super Bee, etc. Ideally, I would like there to be another step between 0.5 and 2w or better yet continuously variable from 0-2w like the Bee!

Of course the OG Merc was designed 20 years ago and was a revolutionary design for its time!

I still think it's a cool amp even today!!:cool:

Last edited:

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
In all seriousness, I spoke to Chuck yesterday to get an update on my upcoming one that is due in late July. He mentioned that he only has a few of the Nootka bodies left in stock (like 4 or 5 max) because he’s had such a run on orders of late. It will be about a year before he gets more of that wood in again. So now is as good a time as any! :dude
I guess the Bee is going on the block to make this happen:jo:jo

Brion

Silver Supporting Member
All of the Carr amps I have played have been awesome, but I guess the newest design I have owned was a Sportsman. I have had a couple of Ramblers, Hammerheads and Slant 6V models as well. It is cool that you have narrowed your selection down to the Carr brand, but it seems like you have not played any of the models. I’m not sure how you landed into this spot, but I guess you read some reviews or something and are now focused on getting a Carr amp. Nothing wrong with that, but you really need to play any amp in person before you spend the big bucks to be disappointed when they are too loud to be played satisfactorily in an apartment environment. A 1 watt tube amp can be too loud to be played at apartment volumes depending on the neighbors tolerance levels etc. and attenuators are usually a compromise to your tone. You are probably best served by using your Kemper amp and reserving your money for other endeavors.

PNWP

Important to note that these amps have very different voices. The Mercury V is more of a British tone (think a fairly diverse set of Marshall tones), the Skylark more in the Fender tweed (it can hit other fender tones, including some blackface), the Super Bee more fender blackface (but can also hit some tweedish tones). The Telstar does a little of everything, but seems to live mostly in the fender to Vox spectrum. From my experience the attenuators are great on all the Carrs I’ve tried. There’s probably an advantage to having a Super Bee 1 x 10 or Skylark if you really need whisper quiet levels, but I doubt you’ll have too much trouble with any of the others. I’d think about which tone you gravitate toward first. My two cents. Can’t go wrong with anything here.

proxy

Silver Supporting Member
Also check out the original Mercury (circle speaker, not oval).

It has several wattage settings and can get very quiet with great tone.

I have 6L6s in mine but you can put many different tubes in it.

SRT2011

Silver Supporting Member
Important to note that these amps have very different voices. The Mercury V is more of a British tone (think a fairly diverse set of Marshall tones), the Skylark more in the Fender tweed (it can hit other fender tones, including some blackface), the Super Bee more fender blackface (but can also hit some tweedish tones). The Telstar does a little of everything, but seems to live mostly in the fender to Vox spectrum. From my experience the attenuators are great on all the Carrs I’ve tried. There’s probably an advantage to having a Super Bee 1 x 10 or Skylark if you really need whisper quiet levels
This is a good general summary overview. I will add that the 1x12 Super Bee can easily get to whisper quite apartment levels too with it's attenuator. The 1x12 Bee version would likely be the better choice when playing with a band.

Trending Topics