What causes the high end fizz with direct recording?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MikeVB, Apr 16, 2015.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I've tried numerous modelers and amp software and they all seem to give me a high end fizz on clean notes.

Even just recording direct Guitar > Steinberg UR22 > Macbook Pro Garageband it doesn't matter whether I use S-Gear or just the built-in Garageband sims. I cannot get a satisfying sound for recording.

I kind live with it while recording, but after I create an mp3 by "share" in GB the resulting mp3 sounds harsh and fizzy in itunes or in my truck. And I've got the gain levels way down while recording...like the gain knob is on 0 on the Steinberg and the record level is -10.0 db in GB.

Even tried a little active di box into the Steinberg and no better.

Do things like the Torpedo Live which let you use a real amp into your DAW also result in these issues?

I'm a new home recorder but about ready to throw in the towel on computer recording if it doesn't get any better than this using consumer level gear.

2. randombastage

randombastage Member

Have you tried setting up an EQ to see if you can isolate the frequencies that deliver the fizz?
    Maybe a low pass filter set to cut off just below the threshhold?

3. kyolic

kyolic Member

Can you provide a sample so that we can hear it and comment later on?

4. Mrmeatball

Mrmeatball Member

Might be a dithering issue
    Is it present on just the guitar track?

5. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Yep, and the bass when DI'ed.

6. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

So, just to be clear, you have other tracks going on in these recordings (vocals, drums, whatever), and they exhibit none of the same noise when you mix down and go listen elsewhere? I ask because what you described (fine when youre mixing, terrible when you mix down to mp3 and go listen elsewhere) sounds like a problem with your mp3 converter or some other part of the post-processing chain.

7. Ampp

Ampp Member

I've never gotten satisfactory sound from an interface like that...that's likely a big part of your issue.

The interface is responsible for SO MUCH of your sound quality that it cannot be overstated. The cheaper interfaces are just not very good IMO and under $200 they are just not acceptable, again IMO.

It's possible the fizz is there and then exacerbated by the MP3 conversion process.

edit: I just googled your interface and found other complaints about clipping and being poor for guitar on some sites...

8. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Yeah, I think that's likely a large part if not the entire problem.

9. Electric I

Electric I Member

There's always a bottleneck in the chain & you don't want it to be the interface. Spring for a good one & you won't be sorry.

10. jamesie

jamesie Member

11. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Yeah, but the problem is knowing at what price point the compromised ones stop and the good ones start.

12. Ampp

Ampp Member

I don't know what your setup is like but for me I think these are superb home interfaces for the price:

Audient id22
    RME Babyface
    Apogee Duet

Probably in that order.

I remember the first time I switched to a decent interface and the huge grin I had listening and recording through it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  13. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Yep. I thought my Lexicon Omega was the bees knees until I tried a RME Babyface. Night and Day literally.

14. Ampp

Ampp Member

Ah, you made me realize I meant to say Babyface in my post, not Fireface.

15. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

OP, you should really post a sample. While you Steinberg may not be top class, there shouldn't be any real bad artifacts, if it operates normally and you're not clipping anything in the chain. So, either it's broken, or there's something else.

16. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

That really isn't true nowadays. Recording an electric guitar direct isn't rocket science and as long as the input isn't clipping (which indeed is a problem on many interfaces) it will be fine. Spending tons of money on an interface for electric instruments is not necessary.