What Causes This?

calenk

What type and gauge of strings are you using now and what type frets are you using as well?
Right now im using 11-60 GHS Nickel rockers
the D is 28 and the marking appeared after 10 minutes of playing on the D string

i did have 10-46 GHS big cores before and the string felt unusable after a couple days....thats also a nickel string

My guitars is a '62 Vintage Hot Rod Strat with medium Jumbos i don't know if there SS or not

Mooncusser

Thanks for that info. Is that the actual picture of your string up there?
I have this happen to my vintage nickels from time to time depending on how hard my playing dynamics are. Seems like you are using nickel on nickel, no?

Mooncusser

I cant believe this happens WHEN you install the strings without even playing them. I do understand that correctly, right?

calenk

Maybe it just seems that way but I'll change strings maybe play for like ten minutes and the next time I grab my guitar I notice the marks

Mooncusser

Have you ever tried different brand strings? Does this happen on all models of strings?
BTW...what kind of guitar?

Mooncusser

I don't think I've tried non nickel on thus guitar yet
do you think that could be the problem
It really couldn't hurt to try a different type of string set since you have only used nickels. That could completely answer your question and at the very least, provide the process of elimination to help rectify your problem.

tin_can_willy

looks like you're putting a lot of pressure on your string bends, you bend strings a lot, and you're probably doing heavy riffing "metal" style!!! you might find that getting a better feel for a lighter gauge string set(especially on the heavier gauges... E,A,D)... OR, it could be your body chemistry reacting to the string/fret material itself...

calenk

looks like you're putting a lot of pressure on your string bends, you bend strings a lot, and you're probably doing heavy riffing "metal" style!!! you might find that getting a better feel for a lighter gauge string set(especially on the heavier gauges... E,A,D)... OR, it could be your body chemistry reacting to the string/fret material itself...
Well I'm for sure bending alot no metal riffing though
what's this body chemistry all about... I do happen to be allergic to some kinda metal

Last edited:

Mooncusser

Well I'm for sure bending alot no metal rigging though
what's this body chemistry all about... I do happen to be allergic to some kinda metal
Certain metals or bi-metals can react with your bodies PH level and cause string discoloration and even can kill the dynamics of the string. This happens to me with some models of strings. That's what tin was referring to. Never saw that cause a pre- played, new installation bend as in the picture, though...Although I did see discoloration on the first picture.

stinkfoot

Just a thought - how do you put down the guitar when you're not playing? Some people lean their guitars against the amp with the fretboard facing the amp. While the guitar stays more stable that way (since the fretboard is flatter than the back of the neck), it can gouge into the strings.

/Andreas

Trending Topics