What Celestion in a 2X12 open back marshall ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DANOCASTER, Feb 3, 2008.

1. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I've got a really killer sounding '72 2x12 Marshall combo. It's an early "Artiste" that was put back to a plexi circuit. Best sounding Marshall I've had. However , the original greenbacks are starting to sound tired and flabby and I would like to try something fresh

would you RE-cone these ? Or put in a pair of newer reissues - if so, which ?

I love this amp - use it primarily for recording - but am primarily NOT a Marshall guy so if guys with more marshall experience could chime in with advice , I'd appreciate it

here it is :

[​IMG]

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Maybe try and find a pair of vintage GBs?

3. Griz

Griz Member

Reissue GB's are good (Chinese or English). You might wish to try G12H30's or Hellatone 30's.

Have fun.

:AOK

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Well if you want the best Bluesbreaker Beano tone go for a pair of 65 watt Scumnicos. If you want later warm smooth crunch JMP tones go with one M55 and one M75 65 watt Scumbacks anything less won't hold up to what I assume is 50 watts you have on hand. If you want even more crunch, more bass, and more highs go for one H55 and one H75 Scumback. Celestion just doesn't offer speakers like these.

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

Rola Celestion G12-65s. No doubt about it.

6. rooster

rooster Member

A vote here for Weber G12H30-55's. If you order one or two, have him break them in ahead of time for you; save you about 10 hours of playing time.

rooster.

7. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

that is bang-on advice imho :BEER

I'd only add the option of the weber ceramic bulldogs in 30watt version, as that should breath nicely with a 50watt marsh. Scums and bluedog ceram's are my fav celi. type if old g12h30's are not an option (hard to find in good condition and getting pricey), when the above 2 choices break in, I wouldn't even bother with the vintage ones....some folks just don't give them time to break in to their "best tone zone".

good luck. awesome looking amp and git !

8. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

If you want to keep the sound like you have now, then just get more Greenbacks. Otherwise you can spend a lot of money trying different speakers that may not give you what you have now.

This guy has good prices (Dave). If you e-mail him, he'll send you a price list.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

9. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

I don't have much experience with M magnet Greenbacks, but from the little experience I do have with them and the somewhat greater amount of experience I have with H magnet Greenbacks, I think the H's sound much better in open-back cabs - G12H (Heritage or not, vintage or not), Weber's H versions, Scumback's H versions, Hellatone 30s, Emi Wizards or what not. (I'm assuming you amp is open-back.)