What cheaper guitar has impressed you?

Jonny D

Let's say $300 or less street value (feel free to currency convert for those outside the US...I am too). Please don't claim that you got a PRS for $300

We are looking for value for the cash.

Twang!

Classic vibe teles. Art and luthiere acoustics, Ibanez and fender low end acoustics. Love the fender cp100 parlor guitar. Installed the GFS preamp and pickup in mine. Works great.

Texsunburst59

I did get a PRS for $300. It's a 2001 PRS Santana SE with planet waves locking tuners and Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck and a Custom 5 in the bridge. This is the best $300 I own. I always think that you get the best value for your money when you buy used.

aussie_owner

Gold Supporting Member
I did get a PRS for $300. It's a 2001 PRS Santana SE with planet waves locking tuners and Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck and a Custom 5 in the bridge. This is the best $300 I own. I always think that you get the best value for your money when you buy used.

^This. I have two PRS SEs I bought used. One was $350, the other $400 (but that one was only two weeks old, so basically brand new, with shipping carton.) I've seen a few SEs for $300. Tremendous value for the money.

And if you're really on a budget, used is the way to go. It's pretty easy to find barely used guitars for cheap on CL.

lowyaw

Hoyer Eagle

very well made, including scraped binding on the body, and wooden binding on the neck. meticulously finished frets. great sustain. it had coil tap, and imo, single coil tones were definitely un-fendery, but very cool

Last edited:

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
Early Peaveys like the T-15; they can be found pretty easily for $300. US-made guitars with excellent Fender-ish tone and solid construction. They can be heavy, but that's the worst thing I can say about them. I found my 1994 Peavey Foundation bass for $180, and I've seen some for even less; it plays like a J-bass, with a slightly more modern sound.

mikewashmo

Used PRS SE Semihollow that had all new electronics, SD Phat Cats, and a bone nut in the $400 or less range. Also like the G&L Tribute Bluesboy that I have. It was under $400. If I could play better, I could make any $300-$400 used guitar sound great. :)

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
Early Peaveys like the T-15; they can be found pretty easily for $300. US-made guitars with excellent Fender-ish tone and solid construction. They can be heavy, but that's the worst thing I can say about them. I found my 1994 Peavey Foundation bass for $180, and I've seen some for even less; it plays like a J-bass, with a slightly more modern sound.
As long as we are talking used prices as well I would agree with Peavey. The Firenza US line is especially nice for the price.

Tweedman

My Dean Z 79. You can find them used in the 350.00 range. Set neck, excellent fit and finish, plays great!!

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I am going to push the price up to $499 for this post, but my son's Road Worn Players Strat is a very nice guitar. I was shocked by the tone and playability it has. Plus the gig bag that came with it wasn't cheap. I don't care that it's MIM, but I borrow it for my gigs as a backup... It sounds great.

Sidmore

no talent hack
Gold Supporting Member
Squier Classic Vibe, Ibanez Artcore, Agile - the fit, finish & playability of mine were really good right out of the box and aside from a $20 saddle swap on one of the CV tele's mine are totally stock...

Dale

If we go $400 the Roadworn and Blacktop teles and others in the series. Squire Classic Vib series. Some of the ESP models. Some of the Epis.

chucke99

A friend bought a new SX Telecaster for $85. When he got it, he waxed the pups to kill the feedback he was getting and now it's an excellent guitar. Sounds good, plays good. He likes it so much he ordered an SX strat to go with it, and plans the same minimal improvements.

These days, I think setup after the factory is key to making guitars play well, and if the guitar is cheap enough, you can do inexpensive upgrades to the pickups and other electronics and end up with very playable instruments.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
A little above your price range and you have to put it together, but a Carvin Bolt has really impressed me.

silot

Reverends. I was totally blown away. Been trying to get my hands on one ever since.

tamader74

Yeah,...I'm kinda' with what some are posting,...especially now that even the Classic Vibe's are over the $300. mark MAP.,... I'm thinking even if we're talking CL/used buys, and you have to fix/upgrade 'anything' , your still over 3 Bills most of the time.

But I can think of 4 that I have somewhere between $325. and $375. into as of late,...I rebought 2 PRS Single-Cut's, a Esquire (project that I will wind-up about $350. or so into when done), and a '97 Squire Pro-Tone Strat., that came with a upgraded electronics, and Gold Hot Lace Sensors installed,...I just wanted the last edition Fender chain saw OHSC., wound up with the case AND the guitar!!!.

Will NOT disclose price (LOL), don't have to as it was still over the $300. price point wanted in this thread. Tom