What chords are these?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Sonic Reducer, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

E
    B 2 3 5
    G 2 3 5
    D 2 3 5
    A 4 5 7
    E

2. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Mike, the first chord is simply an A major, first inversion (with the 3rd, C# in the bass). You're playing the 3rd, the 5th, the root and the third again.

It's an excellent voicing and Hendrix used it all the time. It's this voicing that is used in the Wind Cries Mary.

The other two chords are just the same thing, moved up the fretboard (i.e., the second chord is an A#, the 3rd chord is a C).

You can think of them as coming from the shape of an open G chord:

E 3
    B 0
    G 0
    D 0
    A 2
    E 3

Look at the shape formed on the A, D, G and B strings. Can you see the relationship? This would be a good segue into realtive minors...

4. sws1

sws1 Member

Funny how people see the same thing differently.

I tend to look at that chord as an extension to the Open-A Bar chord.

E
    B 2
    G 2
    D 2
    A 0
    E

If that's the A chord, change the low note up to the 3rd of the chord and you have:

E
    B 2
    G 2
    D 2
    A 4
    E

Never thought about it as form of the open G chord. I'll have to think about that and see if it opens up any new ideas in my head.

5. Leonc

sws - the A chord and the G chord are in fact very simlar. The A voicing you've identified is produced by using your other fingers in lower positions on the E, A and high E strings.

The G voicing I refered to is produced by using your other fingers in higher positions on the E, A and high E strings. But the D, G and B strings are are the same voicing--you can actually see that the A chord in position 2 (i.e., the classic 'cowboy chord' voicing of A) is the same as moving that part of the G up two frets.

Ever learn the Doobie Bros "Listen to the Music"? It makes real good use of the voicing Mike was originally asking about (in E)...and it flips right into the relative minor (C#min) in the second part of each verse.

So...there's a direction to explore...the relationship between E major and C#minor.... :cool:

6. sws1

sws1 Member

Yeah - I see the difference and understand it. And I knew about the G shape relationship to that chord (if I thought about it). It's just how my eyes are drawn a little differently to the shape. I'm gonna have to think "G"-shape from now on and see what happens.

7. sws1

sws1 Member

Oh - it's funny you say that. I bought an amp from you (I think Bogner Ecstasy Classic). In fact I spoke to you on the phone so that I could hear. And you played "Listen to the Music" as a sample. You must get a lot of mileage out of that song. :)

It all comes full circle.

8. Leonc

Ha! That's pretty funny. Probably the only two times I've played that song in the last 15 years. Used to play it as part of a Doobies medeley in a band way back when I was teaching guitar 25 years ago, and yes, I did get a lot of mileage out of it! :cool: