what chorus pedal ~ $100 for U2 Tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by revelati0n, Aug 10, 2008.

1. revelati0n

revelati0n Member

looking for a chorus pedal, around 100 bucks (new or used) for those u2 type tones. recommend me some. thanks!

2. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

The Edge has never really used chorus AFAIK. What you're looking for is a delay pedal with modulated delays. In the $100 and less price range the Line 6 Echo Park is pretty much the best choice for that. It has three delay modes - tape (great), digital (not very good), analog (good) and you can set it to do the dotted 8th notes that the Edge uses. The analog mode sounds very much like it's based on the Deluxe Memory Man (which the Edge used in U2's earlier days).

3. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Even then, I don't think the Edge really used chorus. I believe a lot of the lush-like sounds you are hearing come from the natural character of his AC30. The JMI-spec AC30s often produced a natural chorus-like chime that today's custom classics can't do as well.

4. JimH

JimH Member

I know you're asking about chorus but if you're interested in his sound check this out...

http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/

I think the other guys are right, the complexity of timbre and repeats gives a jangley chorus type sound without necessarily using a chorus pedal - however simulating multiple instruments is essentially what chorus pedals are for. It might seem odd in this context but to me that's exactly what pedals are for. weren't chorus, phase and flange originally studio effects acheived with manipulating tape? - we move on and use whatever we have to create the best sounds we can.

His sound is a big deal. I'm currently working on a cheap version for a covers band which I'll probably blag with a CE-2 and a DD-6. The experts will scoff but hopefully the audince won't notice, will enjoy - and 4 minutes later I'll move on to another song/band/tone...

5. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Well it's pretty true that Edge used a Memory Man delay which also choruses the delay.
    However it is claimed he also used JC-120's in the studio. (The Roland amps that have built-in chorus and 2 power amps, so it is true stereo.)

You can find used (Roland) Boss CE-3's for under $50 bones. That is the sound of those amps, just without the amp part.

;) That said, I beleive it is more important to write anti-war songs than to nail the exact tone!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  6. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

No dedicated Chorus - you are getting confused with Mod delay from his delay units - the memory man / SDD3000 / TC2290!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Stanley

Mod delay sounds better - whacking chorus unit together with a delay pedal doesnt sound quite right!!

Man I love the mod section on my SDD3000 - very cool!

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I know you said $100 but just get a Deluxe Memory man and you'll find all kinds of Edge tones, if you get 2 of them you'll find even more!

9. Stanley

DD-20 or Nova delay will giv you best Edge tones in one pedal!!! If you want to make it even more autnetic get Lyles Triad (Preamp is based on a SDD3000 preamp whcih gives you severre Edge tone mojo!!)

10. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

yup...even if your playing a song with very subtle delay (sunday bloody sunday for example) the repeats are modulated with chorus/vibrato...my boss dd20 and my line 6 echo park are very effective for that edge shimmer...i can just strum a simple chord progression and have had my wife, or frineds say "that sounds like U2...what song is that" and Im just playing a I IV V for the heck of it LOL

11. JimH

JimH Member

....er there is a reason for that....shhhhh! don't tell bono or the edge will get fired.....

12. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

+1. It's a very different effect to have a chorus pedal in your direct chain rather than one in the effects loop of a delay. In my experience, you lose a little bit of 'juice' in your tone when you turn on a chorus pedal with delay. Your clean tones just don't pack as much punch to it regardless of how transparent the chorus pedal is.

13. revelati0n

revelati0n Member

hm... interesting.

i was jamming out with some friends today and i was playing dotted eigth riffs a lot. i have a dd20 and a MXR carbon copy. i could use modulation on both, but i thought the edge used some type of chorus. i hear a lot of chime and shimmer to his playing... which is pretty cool, and i thought it was a chorus. <_< well thanks guys! ill tweak more and more and more. ahah

14. JSharp3180

JSharp3180 Member

Edge still uses the SDD3000 as his primary delay in studio according to Dallas Schoo.

I run my SDD3000 through my '64 AC30 (all original), and it sounds completely freaking unbelievable. I would put it up against any other amp and delay on the face of the earth. I only use the top boost channel, and switched from a 12ax7 to a 12at7 for more headroom - that was a large step in getting the sound I wanted.

Even though SDD3000's are much more expensive than they were 3-4 years ago, I still think $600-800 is a fair price, depending on the shape.

15. 89strat

89strat Member

I agree with not using a dedicated chorus. I get by just fine with the DD-20. In our set list, we play New Years Day and Streets. For streets I use the modulated delay setting and it works really well and for New Years day I use the analog setting.

Although, I had use an analogman chorus at one time for U2 stuff. It's the only chorus I've used that sounded great with all my other pedals, clean, overdrives, delays, etc.... But a pedal than can do a modulated delay is the closest you will come to U2.