What circuit revision for '79 pro reverb? And some gut shots

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by brad347, Apr 26, 2008.

1. brad347

brad347 Member

Hey. Here's an amp I was going to recap for a friend. He got it from Grant Green, Jr. and it has "Grant Green" written on the top. He claims it was his dad's but GG died in '79 so... dunno (amp is 1/79 so it's possible I guess). Anyway, it's been messed with a little and I want to put it back right for him.

It's not sounding its best. It has 2 celestion speakers in it, one GE and one Philips 6L6s, and some obvious changes and mods. Most egregious is the weird 'recap' where the new caps are just siliconed to the left side of the chassis. Gross. I've seen this exact same hack before, so there is obviously some guy in NYC who is doing/was doing this.

Here are some gut shots. These late SF amps are so gross inside.

There is one spot where it looks like a cathode bypass cap has been replaced with a resistor. There is some other stuff that looks really wrong too, but I can't know unless I can find a schematic and layout, which I can't find unless I know the circuit revision. It's not on the tube chart (half of the tube chart is torn off).

Here are some gut shots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. alltone

alltone Member

Howdy..Looks like ..Ultra linear series..no choke and no rectifier tube..Try googling the schematic for Ultra linear pro rev or super rev..I have a Super that looks similar to your pics..Hope this points you in the right direction.. Doug

3. brad347

brad347 Member

perfect. Thanks!

4. BLC

BLC Member

Two hours North Of Atlanta. Where they made that m
    Not too bad.... later model Pro....