What clean amp should i be going for?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mcormier, Jun 4, 2006.

1. mcormier

mcormier Guest

Ok i want a clean amp that is fat, round and big (really big!) with lots of headroom. keep it under 2 grand.

2. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

3. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

You can't go wrong with a twin. You might also try a VHT Pit Bull 45.

If solid state is okay, try a Roland JC-120.

4. msp

msp Member

blackface or early silverface bassman/bandmaster/showman

with atleast a 2x12 cab ....that should give you Ultra phat clean tones for miles and miles

5. dave s

dave s Member

What do you want to do, play clean all night long? No pedals? What guitar? Jazz?

There are a lot of amps out there that will do loud, fat and clean all night long. IMO, that tone sounds cool for rhythm guitar and jazz leads and that's about it!

Now, what do you want to do with a fat sounding amp that'll do loud and clean for days?

dave

6. mcormier

mcormier Guest

\

what about vibrolux reverb?... theres one for sale locally... well 2 hours away from where i live.

7. mcormier

mcormier Guest

i want that fat clean sound for cleans and i would add some pedals for dirt..
    Cot50 into tim.

8. karmadave

karmadave Member

I'd go for a Quad Reverb. Basically a Twin Reverb with 4x12's. You can find them for under a grand. Shipping will cost a bit + any maintenance. This will be a killer clean LOUD amp. Plus it can handle whatever pedals you've got.

-KD

9. dave s

dave s Member

Fat, clean and loud is what I've been using for a launching pad for dirt pedals and otherwises. Here's a list of the amps I've been through over the past 10 years that would do what you need:

Fender Twin, Fender Pro ... NOT a Fender Super or a Bassman. They both break up when they get heated up.

Marshall JCM800 and JCM2000 50w models. The JCM2000 100 will do loud, fat and clean for 24 hours straight if you needed it to do so.

Mesa Boogie amps. Just about any amp with a Mesa label 40w or more will do loud and clean for days as well. A little sterile in some cases, but they'll certainly do it for you.

Bogner Shiva. GREAT clean. Kind of a cross between a Fender Twin and a VOX amp on the clean side. Little pricey, but you should be able to fetch a Shiva head, EL34 with reverb for around 1500.

VOX AC30CC2. Most recent gigging amp. VERY lush and will certainly do the loud, clean, fat equation for you. $1000 brand new at any guitar center.

The Matchless amp I own might break the bank, but if you were able to swing a Clubman head and 212 cab for $2 large, that'd be the best example of loud, clean and FAT tone all at the same time. That's my 'A' rig!

So many amps will do what you need, but if you give more information about how you're going to use the amp, what kind of guitar(s) you play, what kind of music you like/need to make, you might get some amp recommendations closer to what you need.

dave

10. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

GT Soul o 45

jon

11. Reeek

Reeek Member

I can't believe no one mentioned a vintage Sunn. A Good dual 6550/KT88 Sunn head from the late 60's can be had for around $400 give or take and they are one of the cleanest headroom tube amps in thw world. Period.

I love my Sunn Sceptre for exactly what you are looking for in tone.

Check them out.

12. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

Fender Custom Shop Dual Professional, if you can find one (they're no longer made). Beautiful fat, rich, warm cleans, three knob reverb, and an amazing tremelo. Plenty of headroom. My search for a clean amp ended with this baby.

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Some great suggestions so far...
    Also: Bad Cat Cub II, vintage Hiwatt and Orange heads...

14. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Get a Reeves 50 or 100 watt head and forget about it...

15. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

1: Get a used Bruno Cowtipper 45
    2: Used fender dual Pro.

16. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

I just picked up a Dr. Z 18 watt Maz. Jr. (No Reverb). It breaks my bones!

17. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I'm always amazed at the suggestions when someone wants a clean amp. Especially when they give a great description of what they want:

"...fat, round and big (really big!) with lots of headroom..."

There is absolutly nothing in that description that says Fender at all, yet we see numerous suggestions... even one recommending a vibrolux reverb?! I just dont' understand. A fender is chimey clear, crystal with a soft midrange. Its clean, but thats about as close as you get to the posters wants...

I'm not trying to start a fight, I just want to make sure when someone is looking for something, people should pay attention to their needs and not to what they personally like to sound like.

To me he wants a clean to be something in the hi wattage Hiwatt or Marshall catagory. There is no way you can convince me a Vox or Fender is going to sound "round and big"

Love you all! :)

18. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

We clearly have a different understanding of "...fat, round and big (really big!) with lots of headroom...".

Clean is all I do and I've never found a single usable sound FOR ME in a Hiwatt or Marshall. On the other hand, I do own a modern re-issue Twin and I think it fits that description perfectly. Perhaps the problem is that tone doesn't translate very well into words, so the definitions we use are horribly imprecise.

19. changeling

changeling Member

20. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

How loud do you need it to be?

Dr. Z Z-28 4x10 combo would certianly give you the fat/clean thing. But depending on how much volume you are going to be needing it might not be quite enough....it's only 28 watts. It is way more than enough for me.

The KT-45 would also be amazing. That thing has clean tone for days. They both share an EF86 front end which absolutely loves pedals.