What Clyde Mccoy clone really nails it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jhale, Feb 14, 2012.

1. jhale

jhale Member

I have a real clyde but would like to get a clone for live. I havent kept up on all the clones can someone suggest a modern version that comes close? I wouldnt mind an led but not a deal breaker.

2. asdfdsa

asdfdsa Member

Bump for interest!

3. JRBain

JRBain Member

What Clyde McCoy? If the information of Geoffrey Teese and others is anything to go by, these pedals differ considerably from unit to unit. With that said, whilst i'm biased (being a very happy wizard wah devotee), the one that's sounded the best to me has been the RMC picture wah. Does it sound like an original? I don't know.

4. fernieite

fernieite Member

5. Nacho Strato

Nacho Strato Member

I'd look into Chase Tone wahs as well.

6. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

Teese Pic Wah. (His Wheels of Fire wah is awesome too.)

7. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Check out the Wilson Signature wah, perhaps with vintage spec option which includes a LED. Nicely priced too.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  8. jhale

jhale Member

How about the orion or area 51?

9. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I'd look at the RMC/Geoffrey Teese Picture wah or the RMC/Geoffrey Teese Joe Walsh Signature wah..Joe Walsh,Carlos Santana,John Mayer,and quite a few others seem to agree with me as well..

10. jhale

jhale Member

I had a pic wah and I have a real clyde but didnt have them at same time to compare but they felt different from what I remember. I just need a backup for my clyde

11. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I have many Vintage Vox wahs,but I use the pic or Walsh for gigs. Serves me well YMMV. The area51 is a sweet sounding wah but not tuned like any Vox v846 or earlier that I own..Great sounding wah tho.. Orion wahs are Junk...I own 3 different models two of which are actually identical but different name.Inductor"s are way over wound.They do make nice door stops. Good luck with your search.

12. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

Ya, Castledine's stuff is great. I've got one right now and love it. Teese also makes great wahs if you don't want to spend the extra money and/or wait.

13. Twanger

Twanger Member

I'm happy with my Teese Picture Wah, Geoffrey makes great stuff and the customer service is top notch.

14. elevenstrings

elevenstrings Member

what's wrong with the real McCoy?

:rimshot

15. t***9

t***9 Silver Supporting Member

IMO the most "authentic" of the currently produced Wahs is the Arteffect Bonnie. Reverse engineered from '67 Vox Clyde Wahs, it has that vintage taper and a real vocal sound that's not too gainy. With other recently made ones I've heard they're too gainy, by that I mean (too) "syrupy" a vocal sound that's not articulate and breathy, if you will.

The Bonnie is definitely worth checking out. Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-m_D6J4YkZ8

16. jhale

jhale Member

That one sounds good
    Arteffect Bonnie

17. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Here's the Wilson Signature wah compared to a real Clyde:

18. Classic09

Classic09 Member

I hear the Moollon VintAge wah is designed on the 1966, 1967 and 1968 Vox wahs - or something like that. All I know is that it sounds better the the RMC 3 and 4 for what I want.

19. ultradust

ultradust Member

I'm not exactly sure about the year models (I believe they were actually all from '67 and '68) so apologies if I've previously misquoted Moollon's Mr. Park along the way, but both US and Italian-made Vox models were incorporated into the final design. He's mentioned to me in the past that the biggest tonal influence on the final design of the Moollon VintAge Wah was to reproduce the ICAR pot of the Italian model in his collection.

He has also told me that the overall design of one of his vintage American-made Vox models is something he's seriously considering to reproduce in coming years, as the AB-pot and other factors exerting enough influence to sound "that different". We'll see.

20. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Tell Mr Park that the AB pot is still in production and going strong. It is called Dunlop Hotpotz.
    Shame about the ICAR drama..I guess he didn't know Geoffrey Teese got that going back in 1992-3.
    "Having finally come up with a circuit that could address every tonal nuance, Geoffrey soon turned his full attention to the problem of potentiometers. Quite early on, he had not thought potentiometers to be much of a problem or concern, but that did not prove to be the case. It turned out that the ICAR potentiometers used in nearly all the early Italian wahs were long out of manufacture. To make matters worse, no one could be located that knew anything of the old ICAR company, or their manufacturing specifications. As if that wasn't enough, the sound produced with the old ICAR pots was unable to be reproduced by any pot of current manufacture. The one pristine new-old-stock ICAR pot Geoffrey had was the last of it's line.

Undaunted in the past by similarly "impossible" quests, Geoffrey set out to find a pot that would perform the same as the ICAR. After going through dozens of different type pots, from uncountable electronics suppliers, he found one in particular that nearly duplicated the ICAR's effect. Without hesitation, he purchased all the available stock. Trouble was, that totaled only a few hundred pieces. If he really planned to be serious about producing his own wah, he'd have to have more. After careful consideration, he decided to contact the manufacturer of his chosen pot.

The manufacturer was open to the concept of custom making a wah pot, but, in order to be 100% accurate, they would need to dissect an original ICAR. This presented Geoffrey with quite a problem. If he didn't offer up his NOS ICAR, he couldn't truly reproduce it. But, if the company determined they couldn't reproduce it after dissecting it, there would be nothing left for a second try with anyone else. Since they had once made a very similar pot, Geoffrey felt confident that they could reproduce the ICAR, 100%. After several agonizing months, a few prototype pots arrived, along with the remains of the ICAR. They had done it. For all intents and purposes, the ICAR pot had been reborn.

Two seemingly impossible feats had now been accomplished. The accurate reproduction of the old brown (stack-of-dimes) inductor, and the ready availability of a true ICAR-like potentiometer."
    http://www.realmccoycustom.com/RMCHISTORY.htm