What combos have a Vox-ish Clean and Soldano-ish OD?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jarrett, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

My Spider Valve did some weird stuff at the gig today. I'm not writing it off yet, but I like contingency plans. Any other combos out there with a Vox clean and something between a Modded Marshall to Soldano type OD? That clip of the VHT Super30 seems like it might.

2. Ironman

Ironman Member

Vox Valvetronix.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Crate Palomino V32.

4. ned911

ned911 Member

5. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Sounds like the Budda Superdrive to me.

6. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

AC30 with a tasty OD would get you 95% of the way there.

7. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I think that is about right. It is hard to "combine" a Vox tone with another tone in the same amp. 90% of the Vox tone comes from the EL84 power tubes in cathode bias. If you take those away, you've lost the Vox character. But you really don't want EL84s for a modern overdrive tone. Soldano uses 6L6s for a reason.

The higher gain EL84 amps I've demoed have all been pretty squishy and really sound like they could use a good dose of big bottles and fixed bias to make them right.

8. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

+1 on the Mod 50. I ould get the VX and EG5 modules to get the tones you seek, and I promise you you will be very happy. I have had many amps, including the SLO and the Egnater Mod 50 is my favorite. The preamp modules do very well what modeling amps try to do. I can sound like any amp I want and do it with outstanding warmth and clarity.

The price is right also, as you can get a head with 2 modules,reverb and a 4 button footswitch for around 2K. The combo is a bit more, and I hear that the 1 x 12 with the Classic 80 is an excellent choice for a combo. I have the head and run a Stone Age 2x12C with Celestion Heritage 65's and am in tonal heaven.

9. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

That would be a great choice, IMO.

10. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

The Crate, Budda, and Valvetronix won't even get you very close IMHO. I've looked for a channel switcher that did Vox for a couple years now, and I've yet to find even one that got very close to a real Vox clean tone. S2 is right in his explanation from my experience. The Egnater slightly reminded me of the preamp sound, but the power stage is all wrong and loses it for the most part IMO.

An AC30 with the right pedals is the ticket. I've been playing this way for a little over a year now, and I've quit searching for a channel switcher altogether since I'm so happy with the tone I already have. I'm not an afficianado of the Soldano sound, but I've had great success with the Barber Direct Drive in front of the AC30 circuit. Others have had a lot of success with the MI Crunchbox, but I'm happy with the Barber and quit looking at other drive pedals.

I don't think you'll regret ditching the L6 gear in favor of an AC30 in the least. I've been through a lot of gear, but I've never been so happy with my tone and the way it sits in a mix as I am right now. I've played a lot of modeling gear and a lot of expensive amps (including big-bottle, high gain amps) in this quest, but there is a lot of magic in a Vox that I couldn't imagine playing without.

D

11. jeffh

jeffh Member

I'd also say the Budda. I have been down that path. I have owned a few different Soldano and Vox amps ( currently the AC15HH) as well as a Series I Superdrive, I'd say it will get you close. It's not a dead ringer for a Vox or a Soldano but it is "ish" like youi said. Chimy clean, and hot rodded Marshall it does well.

The other choice might be the Matchless Indepence, Bad Cat Hot Cat or Star Gainstar. All Voxish clean and high gain overdrive. I have a Hot Cat, I'd say the Superdrive clean is closer to a Vox than the 30 watt Hot Cat with EL34's. But either of the 15watt Hot Cat or Gainstar/Sirus with EL84's might be closer.

12. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I guess I should qualify my statement. It doesn't have to be dead on Vox. In fact I like the sound of a Vox front end on top of a 6L6 power section, my last two amps have been like this and I dug them.

Also, I know the Egnater Mod Series can do it as that was my previous amp but looking for something less expensive. Thanks.

13. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

14. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Tell that to my el84 based Atomic 16 that has the same fundamental tone as my 6L6 based HR50+.

A Deluxe Reverb doesn't use 6L6's but it can still get Fender clean tone.

It's not all in the power tube.

15. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Sounds exactly like a Budda SD-18 seriesII !!!!!!!!!

16. Drew W

Drew W Supporting Member

My needs sound like yours. I currently have a VHT Super 30 1x12 and that is a very nice sounding amp. Has a great clean channel. However, I need to experiement with tubes as it doesn't quite have the sustain I'm looking for on the lead channel. Mine has slightly more gain than an 80's era JCM800 and I want more than that and I was hoping to avoid using a boost pedal. But as I said, I think the amp is in need of new tubes (pre & power).

I have a Budda SD18 1x12 on order and it should be here Tuesday. It'll be interesting to compare it to the VHT.

17. Dropped_2_C

Dropped_2_C Member

Hughes and Kettner Triamp for sure, you can get a MKI pretty cheap on the bay or check the local craigslist. I have two of them a head and a combo(they only made 500 in 1995) i am trying to get another head, hopefully I will be able to trade for one in the future so I'll have 2 heads

18. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

Hello Jarrett,

Now you've got me a little worried about trying out a SV this weekend : )

What did your amp do?

BB

19. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Bad Cat Tone Cat
    Egnater Mod 50 & Tourmaster 4100

20. KCWM

KCWM Supporting Member

Hey Jarrett. I just picked up a Crate Palomino V32, which was suggested earlier. Perhaps we can get together if you want to try it out so you can see if it's something you want to look into. They are reasonably priced. I'm not selling mine, but it'd allow you to try one out to see if you want to go in that direction.

There's one issue with mine that the guy at guitar center (older guy who said it was his before he bought the handwired marshall they were selling) said was common with this model of amp...the spring reverb starts to have issues. I started to hear it when I was playing it pretty loud, but he said when you back away from the amp, you can't.

Shoot me a PM and perhaps we can set something up. I don't necessarily think my apartment is a great place, but I'll throw out that possibility for you.