What components should go into a Tweed Build?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by toneman335, Jan 30, 2008.

1. toneman335

toneman335 Member

I am going to have a low power tweed twin clone built. From those in the know what components should go into this amp to make it as toneful as possible. Thinking of things like caps, transformers, tubes, etc.
    I am also thinking of components that are currently being made. But if you believe that something NOS or vintage is better please let me know.

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Highest quality transformers, tubes, speakers, and cabinet are priorities.

Beyond that, electrolytics should be high quality. A lot of people like Sprague Atoms, but any good ones with low ESR should be fine.

Mallory 150 caps seem to be closest to what most people think of as tweed tone. I haven't personally found PIO caps to sound all that great.

You can go with carbon comp resistors, but I find them to add more shot noise than mojo, so I normally use carbon film instead.

3. Dave

Dave Member

Could you elaborate please?

I have an amp with PIO caps. They were an optional "upgrade"(not my choice, I bought the amp used) in this particular amp (5E3 clone). Why don't you like them and why do some people prefer them?

4. toneman335

toneman335 Member

Please tell me specific make and model of a component. I read somewhere that Sozo caps should be looked at as well as the Mojo Dijon. Any thoughts on these or any other?
    In a transformer would a Heyboar, check spelling, or a Mercury be the way to go?

5. toneman335

toneman335 Member

Any more suggestions?