what compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wingwalker, Apr 20, 2008.

1. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I am looking for a compressor to add a little sustain to mostly my Strat. It doesn't have to be the most transparent or offer the most features...actually a very simple comp would be best. I just want something to add a little sustain and help notes hang on a little longer.

Hit me!

2. MarkV

MarkV Member

:Spank hitting you with the Maxon CP-101 compressor. Simple, almost transparent and not that expensive.

3. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

4. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

5HP with a 50 gallon tank :crazy

Actually i'm liking both my Keeley and Diamond . Others will say Barber Tone press and I think those 3 are the most common and suggested .

5. kandrus

kandrus Member

Diamond here...

Love the sound, and simple controls. Comp, EQ, Volume

Kyle

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I've been reading on the forum the past few hours...whats the general thoughts on the AM Juicer???

7. brianf

brianf Member

Do a search and there are so many compressor threads. I read many of them before I chose.

I have a Tone press and a T- rex Comp Nova. If you get a chance try these 2 out. The T.P. seems to be a favorite here and I can see why. It does the compressor thing well but I don't use mine much any more since getting the T Rex. Can't describe it other to say that it is what I imagines a compressor to be before I had ever had one. It does the limiting thing soooo welllll.

brianf

8. tonesearchin'

tonesearchin' Member

Emma Transmorgrifier is very versatile. I have a Ross clone from Cmatmods right now and it is great but the EMMA adds the attack and decay. I like pedals that have a lot of knobs for the versatility but I usually opt for the simple pedal in the end. Keep that in mind I rarely reach down and change the setting on my compressor. once I find the sound you are after it stays there.

Ross clones are typically noisy too. I can drive my champ to overdrive by just turning up the level on my compressor unfortunately this also brings a lot of noise

If price is a factor MXR Dynacomp.

9. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I'm totally diggin' my Tone Press, its my favorite!

Also,

I dig the Bi-Comp and Keeley.

10. burner

burner Member

Search for an older MXR Dyna Comp.
    A script logo would be the cats ass but they are pricey and climbing, so you might find an early block logo model.
    The Dyna comp is definitely my favorite compressor!
    They are not "hi-Fi" sounding affairs and seem to mesh well with single coils,IMO.
    (incidentally I have one for sale in the Emporium)

Other stomp box compressors I like are the Diamond and the Keeley

11. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

+1 and great sounding.

12. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

13. bestegw

bestegw Member

+1 on the Keeley, love that thing!!

14. dobro man

dobro man Member

Analogman 3 knob comprossor is really good

15. papersoul

papersoul Member

So, what is the scoop on compressors? I have been struggling to find something to allow me to stand out with leads because I use the same channel for rhythm and lead. I tried some boosts up front but they seem to add noise, although the creation audio Labs boost is supposed to be dead silent and clean plus it works in the loop with line level which I need.
    I was thinking a compressor may be good because I have played with guys who used compressors to fatten leads and esentially was able to get about the band and stand out! Is this common with a compressor into a high gain amp? I am researching the MXR Dyna Comp because I hear they are the most musical and also the Keely comp, and Jacques compressor(I have their chorus and it is great!), and Maxon compressor.
    I like warm and muscial, not hi-fi!

16. shawntp

shawntp Member

I just picked up a barber tone press and its wonderful. If you arent really shure about compressors and just want a little bit the Tone Press is it - you can dial in as little as you want and just make it fade away into your sound. Subtle and you dont even know its on till you turn it off and miss it. It can also get into some nice squish territory if you want it to but when I see terms like "just a little" etc - that says Tone Press.

17. papersoul

papersoul Member

Maybe the Mark 4.23 is the solution.

It is weird though because I jammed with a guy who used a Marshall with nothing but a compressor and distortion box, plus an echo. He always stood out for leads. I don't think he changed channels for the leads. I also know a guy who says with a Marshall and EL34s, no need for a volume boost....you'll always stand out. Haha. Although I know his sound guy bumps him up.

18. Jam119

Jam119 Member

+1 on The Tone Pump! I recently put it chain after my OD's and I'm loving it!
    [​IMG]

19. papersoul

papersoul Member

Any of you using an A/B switch? Are there any transparent ones?

20. uncledevo

uncledevo Member

Oxygen. Used to be made by Blackbox. Now its made by Oohlala. Far as I know its the same pedal but Oohlala's artwork is better. Might be more than you are looking for, but its got great sound quality.