What cool modifications can I do to a V847 Vox Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eric-d, Feb 6, 2006.

1. eric-d

eric-d Member

I was at GC (I know I know, but I get **** @ cost..) and I've never owned a Vox wah.... I said, what the hell.... Anyways - I got it home and it's "ok" at best..... I'm so used to my Fulltone Clyde. Is there anything cool I can do to it, or should I just return it??? I was thinking it'd be cool to have a back up wah. I actually had my eye on a Budda..... So basically, should I mod it, or return it and buy a Budda???

2. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Silver Supporting Member

You can put in an aftermarket inductor, like a fasel or halo, and switch 3 resistors and one cap to get closer to an original clyde. Go to this address for more info. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledine/greenfuz/tb2.html
    You just need some moderate soldering skills. I am waiting for an inductor from area 51, but have done the resistor change and it makes a difference. I also replaced the pot with a fulltone, and put in a dpdt carling switch for true bypass. you can also go so far as to get the original tropical fish caps for the really authentic sound. Good luck.

3. eric-d

eric-d Member

Does Fulltone still sell the pot on his website??? I couldn't find it. I did find them at Area 51 in Austin..... Hmmm... Just curious. I already ordered a DPDT Carling through Small Bear.

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

[​IMG]
    I've started the "Kustomization" of the Vox. I painted it Copper and I have the Carling 316PP Switch on the way. I am about to order the Fulltone Pot and I'm waiting on Area 51 to have the inductors in stock. Dan has been great and is going to notify me as soon as they're in. Should be around mid' March.

5. eric-d

eric-d Member

Likey; no likey?! :p

6. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

likey

7. drolling

drolling Member

Like the Budda- It's my main wah. But the Vox 847's cool, too. They're both in the same family and are great for classic Cream/Hendrix tones.

I got the Vox after comparing it to their new & improved McCoy, and finding I prefered the sweep on the 847. My opinion, all you really HAVE to do's install a DP/DT switch for true bypass. Very simple job & those switches have come way down in price over the years- mine cost around 10 bucks.

The main reason I picked up the Vox wah was to put in a Foxrox booster kit. If you NEED to have wah before fuzz, the booster really helps to cut thru'. But it does alter the tone of the pedal, and I couldn't bring myself to messing w/the Bud's beautiful voicing.

So the Vox comes out for those Band of Gypsies moments when I'm using a hellacious amount of fuzz and/or Octavia. For all other situations, from clean to overdrive, Bud works great. Nice sturdy build, too. Had mine for years now, without a single problem.

8. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I sent my 847 to Keeley for some mods. Sounds like you want to do it yourself, but he did a few cool things to mine. He made it true bypass, installed a bass pot to change the frequencies of the sweep (which I really like-it offers a wide range of tonal options) and even added a blue led in the heel of the pedal. I know you can tell when your wah is on, but I like to be sure it is off as I'm coming out of a solo back to a verse and the light makes it very obvious.

9. astainback

astainback Member

you don't happen to know where I can get a simple schematic for added the led to you??

thanks,
    adrian

10. astainback

astainback Member

Does anyone have a schematic for adding an LED.. I am learning...

11. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

me too

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

13. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

14. retro

retro Member

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

my bad :messedup