What could Fender do?

Kmaz

What could the Fender company do to be made great again? Or is that even possible? Heavy competition along with the results of changing times and musical formats?

For example, how much has the Louisville Slugger bat changed in 100 years? Is it still considered to be iconic baseball equipment?

swiveltung

Fender is great. They could improve though.
-Fix the wobbly trem arm issue on Strats, It's only been that way for about 60 years.
-Hand wire their RI amps like the originals. Just have the boards prewired someplace like Thailand for what.... $5 labor? They are all damn near the same in the same type amp like BF/SF.
-Thinking out of the box, Fender could offer "menu" style guitars. Today's best manufacturing builds to sales, rather than to inventory like the old days. Offer buyers a menu: Select your pickups, select your string spacing, select your color etc. Ship it within days of order.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I like Fender just fine right now. :dunno

Great instruments, from the lowest price point to the highest. What exactly are they doing wrong?

PS Most levels of baseball except the pros use aluminum bats now. The pros would too, except they're too lively and pitchers would be in serious jeopardy with balls coming back at them hit by Major League batters.

Whitecat

-Fix the wobbly trem arm issue on Strats, It's only been that way for about 60 years.
-Hand wire their RI amps like the originals. Just have the boards prewired someplace like Thailand for what.... $5 labor? They are all damn near the same in the same type amp like BF/SF.
-Thinking out of the box, Fender could offer "menu" style guitars. Today's best manufacturing builds to sales, rather than to inventory like the old days. Offer buyers a menu: Select your pickups, select your string spacing, select your color etc. Ship it within days of order.

They've tried the bespoke thing with the American Design Experience program - is that still running?

When you look at how popular the Wood Library program is with PRS you can see that there's definitely a demand for interesting customisation - the issue with Fender is that the idea of doing that kind of takes away from the company's roots. It's a bit of a pickle for them...

swiveltung

They've tried the bespoke thing with the American Design Experience program - is that still running?

When you look at how popular the Wood Library program is with PRS you can see that there's definitely a demand for interesting customisation - the issue with Fender is that the idea of doing that kind of takes away from the company's roots. It's a bit of a pickle for them...
Yeah, I think they actually do it... it's called "Custom Shop", but it's too much money for little difference and way too slow! They need to get their heads out of the 50's production wise.

Reactions: C-4

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
They're not a relatively small factory in Fullerton with Leo at the helm any more, and they never will be. The past is gone. And there won't be another Fender, not like they were at the time. A factory that size can exist, but they won't be doing what Fender did.

offer affordable jazzmasters, jags, and mustangs that are American made and can be had New on the showroom floor for under $1200. under $1000 for the mustang.

offer better recreations of vintage amp designs all hardwired. a tweed champ and tweed vibrolux, a vibroverb and a bassman would be good starting points.

this is just me fantasizing though. I love fender and they created imo the best and most inspiring electric guitars hands down. their current guitar quality is very good imo

Ron Kirn

Vendor
actually FMIC was given the best of all recommendations in the ;late 80's.

Shortly father their acquisition of Fender, FMIC hired an "old guy" as a consultant.... they asked him what should they do.. his reply. "Build 'em like I used to." the "old guy" was Leo Fender..

Actually their guitars are great at all price points... all I would suggest is to do a REAL setup on each, and stop the Marketing bull... they are in a position to create a "sonic lab" and release real valid information exposing all the bull that circulates in these forums... how 'bout that instead of "Flash Coated Lacquer"?

Ron Kirn

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
It depends. For some they can do no wrong. So they keep on keeping on.

For me, I want things they don't do or no longer do, so I am no longer a customer.

Oneofthe

It's not within days of ordering, but I think Fender did listen to you. Here is the Fender American Design Experience, not too expensive, around the price of an Elite. The problem you will run into doing this though is resale.

http://www2.fender.com/experience/fender-tone/fender-american-design-experience/

The link to visit the mod shop is at the bottom.

Kmaz

actually FMIC was given the best of all recommendations in the ;late 80's.

Shortly father their acquisition of Fender, FMIC hired an "old guy" as a consultant.... they asked him what should they do.. his reply. "Build 'em like I used to." the "old guy" was Leo Fender..

Actually their guitars are great at all price points... all I would suggest is to do a REAL setup on each, and stop the Marketing bull... they are in a position to create a "sonic lab" and release real valid information exposing all the bull that circulates in these forums... how 'bout that instead of "Flash Coated Lacquer"?

Ron Kirn
Ron, could you elaborate on the REAL setup? Do you mean, give the customer more info as well?

Oneofthe

Well, gosh, at the risk of sounding too theoretical...a guitar is a guitar, there is not much more you can do with a design before it is no longer a guitar. Take the bat analogy you mentioned, the moment you modify it with electronics and technology, well you no longer have baseball next you will have robots playing the sport. I'm a football fan and there is not much you can do with the pigskin.

I really like how the American Professional Telecaster went back to the brass saddles like the Reissues, that is one of the reasons I bought an American Special. Fender really did a good job by taking a Tele back to its roots and not trying to make it some kind of Strat Sound with the bridge.

I think PRS has done some revolutionary stuff though, but they are a new brand just creating their legacy; they really make a guitar a piece of art. I think Gibson is just marketing now and, in a way, they have already betrayed their legacy by adding weird technology to it but making the real thing in Memphis.

Fender vibes with me but it doesn't vibe with everyone, if you are asking how you can make Stradivarius great again well maybe the Stradivarius isn't for you.

captwillard

What could the Fender company do to be made great again? Or is that even possible? Heavy competition along with the results of changing times and musical formats?

For example, how much has the Louisville Slugger bat changed in 100 years? Is it still considered to be iconic baseball equipment?

They could ban you from owning their products!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom