What "counts" as a partscaster?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bossanova, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

Is there a definition?

My new Strat is a loaded CP body (MIM, CS69 pups) and a MIJ 62 RI neck (for vintage specs). Is this technically a partscaster or something else. It's all Fender, incl. tuners, plastics, wiring, etc

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

So you have a Classic Player Strat with a different neck and you're wondering if this constitutes a partscaster? :huh

3. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I would call a guitar that someone took various parts, including and especially a neck and body, and assembled them a partscaster. So yours would qualify. I don't consider taking a factory neck and body combination and swapping out hardware on it a partscaster, just a modded guitar.

That's just my opinion. It's partly based on what some others think as well, but I don't know of anyone that's in charge of an official definition. I've read some people here contend that any Fender a partscaster because it's made up of parts, but that doesn't seem very useful to me. Every electric guitar is made up of parts.

And what matters of course is the guitar itself, not what you call it. Parts is parts!

4. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

no, i'm wondering at which point does modding a guitar turn it into a partscaster, understanding that different people will have different opinions.

5. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

i.e., if i went out and got a set of Lollars and a callaham bridge tomorrow, what would it be then..?

6. darkwaters

darkwaters Member

7. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Seems I'm misunderstanding what your guitar is made up of. You bought a Classic Player body separately from the pickups, parts and neck? That's definitely a partscaster.

I was thinking you had a Classic Player guitar, which comes stock with CS '69 pickups (or used to) and you replaced the neck.

Everyone is going to have their own meaning for what constitutes a partscaster. But a partscaster is definitely not a guitar that has been modded. I suppose technically you could buy an American Standard body and neck from the same year and assemble the guitar yourself and it would be a partscaster as it didn't come that way from the factory.