What DAW software do most of you use?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Hackdog69, Nov 22, 2016.

Tags:

What DAW Software do most of you use?

Poll closed Dec 6, 2016.
  1. Pro Tools

24 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Cubase

9 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. Logic

58 vote(s)
    29.9%
  4. Ableton

10 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Cakewalk

24 vote(s)
    12.4%
  6. Other, post response please

69 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

Was a loyal Reaper user and still love it, but I'm 95% Pro Tools these days.

JCM 800 likes this.
  2. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Reason 8. Love it

$tratcat likes this.
  3. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

I love Garageband and it was able to handle almost everything I was interested in but when I acquired a plug-in that it could not handle I migrated to Logic Pro.

4. Toogy

Toogy Member

I've been using Reaper for years, but recently switched to Studio One. Really liked it at first, but as the projects grew in track size & plugins, the CPU usage and freeze ups are getting very tiring! Not sure what is going on with it. But I'm thinking I'll go back to Reaper for my next project. It's too bad as I really did like the workflow of Studio One.

5. jim683

jim683 Member

Studio One Version 2.6

6. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Been using Pro Tools for 12 years. I produce in Logic sometimes too. But mainly record, mix & master in Pro Tools. I just got Studio One and it's pretty incredible. I need to dabble in it more. But for clients worldwide I mix in Pro Tools just because that's where I am the fastest and time is money! :)

JCM 800 likes this.
  7. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

8. zenmindbeginner

zenmindbeginner Silver Supporting Member

My background is in audio editing and video editing so I was pleased when Adobe bought Cool Edit Pro back in the day... it had integrated video support within the multitrack layout so I just started using it for video editing and found that it's multitrack functions worked quite well as a bonus.

Now video support is just a normal part of DAW software, but I still use Adobe Audition for my DAW since I have zero need for virtual instruments or midi.

9. micycle

micycle Member

Logic as of 2 years ago when I switched to Mac, but Cakewalk/Sonar for 15 years before that. I'm on the waiting list of Sonar for Mac and super excited to try it out. I'm curious to see if I stick with Logic or go back to my warm fuzzy Sonar comfort zone.

10. alex4d

alex4d Member

I'm not sure I like this poll. You can only select one. I use different DAWs for different reasons. I use Pro Tools for all my mixing and editing, but if I'm working closer with a band we may dive into Reason or Logic to work on compositional pieces later to be thrown back into Pro Tools.

-Alex

jjboogie likes this.
  11. squealie

squealie Member

Been on Sonar since it came out. CW Pro Audio before that. I've been through what... 10 major upgrades at around $200 bucks a pop, not to mention the V-Studio rig that they abandoned a year after I bought it... total of around$6k invested. 5 minutes after I did the upgrade to X3, they go subscription based....

Once this hardware fails, I'll move to Reaper. Cakewalk will never see another dime of mine.

12. alex4d

alex4d Member

One or Three? :D Someones marketing team didn't think through naming convention haha.

-Alex

kor likes this.
  13. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I would have voted for both Logic and Ableton if I could.

14. alex4d

alex4d Member

Who is Godot?

-Alex

15. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Lol no kidding hey :)

16. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

17. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

Garage Band. It's really easy to use, has a ton of loops. I use it for making demos and fleshing out song and composition ideas. It's super for this. Because it runs on my phone and my laptop and my ipad, I can use it just about anywhere. I use an Apogee Duet as input interface, which is another nice piece of quality portable recording hardware.

Digitalman likes this.
  18. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Supporting Member

Currently using Studio One 3, after starting with Studio One, and then Studio One Two.:)

19. kor

kor Member

I just upgraded from Studio One 2 Pro to 3 Pro and love it! Back in the day I used Vegas and was fine with it. I tried Pro Tools about 12-15 years ago and thought it was horrible but I have to think that most of these programs are pretty darn good these days.

20. SRQGuitar

SRQGuitar Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for Studio One. I've used several and tried most and have settled down with Studio One. One thing to keep in mind is that, for the most part they all do the same thing. They are all very easy to do the basic stuff on and very deep and difficult to master.

They also all have free trials. I recommend downloading and installing a bunch of demos, then launch and record some basic tracks and see if one grabs you. At the least you'll eliminate a few that you just don't care for or a couple that have glitches or run poorly on your system.