What DeArmond pickups do I have here?

ThePenwellCrash

Gold Supporting Member
This is a '67 Gretsch Clipper which has had the single Hi-Lo Tron replaced with two DeArmonds. I do not believe they are vintage dynasonics, nor do I believe they are the DeArmond 2000's, but rather likely the DeArmond 2K. Can anyone here confirm?

Also, I received the guitar with the pickups installed as they are in the first pic, which puts the magnets on each pickup closer to the middle as opposed to closer to the neck and bridge respectively. I realize this is not the correct orientation, but does it matter? Flipping the pickup orientation would just help brighten up the bridge and darken the neck, correct? So if I already think there is a bit too much bright/dark difference between the two pickups, it doesn't make sense for me to reorient them, which would just further accentuate the difference. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

urQuill

Silver Supporting Member
I can tell you this much. That's a really cool guitar.

You could try asking Joe Vinikow at archtop.com. He's been dealing in vintage and new archtop guitars for many years and knows quite a lot about DeArmond pickups, old and new. Great guy to deal with, and to just talk to - but if you love archtops, the website is very dangerous.

Rockerduck

they are called the DeArmond 2000. They are P-90 single coils. The black ones came on Gretsch guitars and the white ones came on Guild guitars.

ThePenwellCrash

Gold Supporting Member
Thank you guys! That is a really helpful website. I think it confirms my suspicion of it them being the 2K's and not the 2000's. For now, I am enjoying the characteristic of the whole guitar, but I may have to swap them for some real dynasonics at some point since they are pretty similar to the P90's I already have in a hollowbody.

Here's the full guitar

ThePenwellCrash

Gold Supporting Member
I had a '57 Gretsch Streamliner which has an original Dearmond dynasonic in the neck. That is the sound I wanted to regain, but of course with its counterpart in the bridge. This guitar does not sound the same as my streamliner, but some of that comes from it being a much thinner body. The streamliner was the same dimensions as a 6120. This difference in sound is one of the factors which inspired me to pull the pickups to examine. They do sound great all on their own, but I think it is in the P90 realm, which is already covered by my '66 Gibson ES-330.

I'll play it for awhile as is, but will also keep my eye out for some true vintage dynasonics or at least some DeArmond 2000's

augur

DeArmonds 2000 are very nice and different from P90.
More twang, a bit less mids...and a real 50's sound !
Didn't try any DeArmond 2k...but love P90 sound on my SG Junior !

Meriphew

I have DeArmonds in my Tele-Sonic. Can't remember which ones though. You might do a little research on the Tele-Sonic pups, and that might lead you to an answer.

Atilioxxl

These are De Armond 2k pickups, similar to the Fender Tele-Sonic guitar main pickups. Not are 2000 or Dynasonics. The sound and construction are close to P90.

Trending Topics