What device to get a Strat neckpocket right..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Dylan61, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

A Custom Strat keeps giving major Buzz, trussrodd, saddles, I have done it all.

After trying a shim, buzz was gone, but reasonance too..

So I like to give the neck pocket a tiny adjusting by removing something from the body, what device can I possible use do this.

2. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

It is a new NOS '60 Custom Shop Stratocaster bought from Midtownmusic.

The date on the papers said it is from jan 2006..

3. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Midtown Music in Atlanta? They have a ton of Fenders and I've picked up some real dogs in there. (As in played not bought.)

I would suggest working with Wildwood Guitars for your next Fender puchase. Those guys are top shelf.

4. RadackGuitars

RadackGuitars Supporting Member

I wouldn't advise modifying the neck pocket of a custom-shop Strat, but if you do decide to do it, I would advise that you don't do it but have a qualified luthier do it.
    Having said that, the tool to use is a small, perfectly flat sanding block the same width of the neck pocket. Use 150 grit sandpaper on the block and make sure to remove equal amounts of material across the width of the pocket, focusing on removing material at the front of the pocket and blending toward the rear of the pocket.

5. David Collins

David Collins Member

"I wouldn't advise trying to build an explosive device like this at home. Leave this work to licensed and trained professionals.
    Having said that, first take a 6" length of black pipe, and drill a 1/16" hole at it's midpoint. You can find black powder at your local gun shop, and make sure to pack it real tight. For shrapnel......"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Phrases like "knows just enough to be dangerous", or "just enough information to cause some serious damage" come to mind. :rolleyes:

Before making any modifications, take it in to a professional for a second opinion. Chances are good that it just needs a proper setup and perhaps a fret dress. Even if it did need a neck angle change, a properly fit shim won't cause any noticeable tonal change.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

+1
    i'd rather have a guitar that's been dragged by a rope tied to a car bumper than one that's been subject to amateur "repair" or "modification".