What did I do wrong in this pickup install?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by docgorpon, Feb 4, 2008.

1. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

I recently put in a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge position of this guitar. I was replacing a Gibson style humbucker that I didn't like. I put, what I thought were the same wires in the same places of where the former pickup was installed that also seemed to coincide with the diagram/instructions that came with the JB. I'm a player, not a tech. So I'm not real knowledgable. But I have replaced pickups successfully before many times. However, the JB sounds extremely thin and low gain/output. Sounds like a tele or something. I know that's not right. Here's a pic http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/8881/dsc01125copyvd5.jpg
    1 is the hot wire attached to the toggle switch
    2 is the black ground joined with the bare (ground?) wire attached to the copper plating at the floor of the cavity
    3 is the green and white wires taped back and unused
    What's wrong with this picture? Do I need to switch a pot or something?

2. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Duncan color code is: Black is hot - red and white = solder together and either tape, or use for tap and green and bare = solder together and are ground.

[​IMG]

3. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

If I understand correctly. The hot wire (black) should be soldered to the switch. Red and white should be solder together and their joint insulated. Green and bare should be solder together and go to ground (probably the back of a pot).

4. in a little row

in a little row Member

no, as the others posted, the black is the hot, not the red,and not ground..from what you posted the lead is backwards, green should be with bare ground. white and red togehter out of the circuit

j

5. Chikn

Chikn Supporting Member

That's the "fun part" of 4-conductor wiring. Nearly everyone uses Black, White, Red and Green, but THEY ALL USE THOSE COLORS DIFFERENTLY. So much for an industry standard.

6. 5er Driver

5er Driver Member

I've got 2 humbuckers on the way, each has 4 conductors. I'm going to replace 4 pots and a switch when I do the pup install. Wanna bet I can f**k up at least 3 connections? I may be asking you guys for help......:worried