What did i do wrong?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gonkboy, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

I played a show last night and was setting up my gear. The amp was a Blackstar HT. i use an AMT C2 pedal so went about setting it up. I plugged into the effects return (as i always do with other amps) but there was no sound. If i plugged into the front of the amp there was no problem, so all the cables worked fine.
    So what was i doing wrong? Why was there no sound when i went straight into the fx return?

2. jwfran04

jwfran04 Supporting Member

My impression from your description is that nothing was plugged into the send part of the fx loop, is that correct? If that's the case, I wonder if the return isn't active unless there is something plugged into the send output of the fx loop.

3. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

Okay. So if i plugged something into the fx send (even if it's not connected to anything) then that would activate the fx loop, thus allowing me to run my preamp pedal through the fx return straight into the speakers?

4. dougb415

dougb415 Member

You don't run a pre-amp pedal in the effects loop. You plug it into the regular input. Guitar -> pedal -> amp. If you were plugging this pedal into the loop, what was plugged into the amp's input jack?

5. jwfran04

jwfran04 Supporting Member

Yeah, that's my thought and is certainly worth trying. If not, maybe there's an issue with the fx loop and it just doesn't work

Gonkboy likes this.
  6. 8len8

8len8 Member

There's someone in this thread with a similar problem, so I assume your amp is working like it should and this is just due to how it's designed.

http://line6.com/support/topic/7705-fx100-direct-to-amp/

You might want to post this question in the amp forum here or at the Blackstar forum to get more replies (and change the title to something like "Blackstar HT Loop").

7. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

no, what the OP tried to do works well with many amps; it certainly works with every amp that i own (& all rental amps provided to me by promoters), wherein the fx-return acts as an insert previous to the power-section: it's a very, very common design.

of course, that may not be the case with whichever amp he was using.

Gonkboy likes this.
  8. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

Thanks for the help folks. I think i'll post it in the amp forum with a more specific title.
    If any other posters have an answer please feel free to post here.

9. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Isn't it called an effects "loop" because it needs to be a closed loop? If it's an active loop, it would need both send and return going, and to be switched on.

Gonkboy likes this.
  10. P8t8r

P8t8r Member

This is how Blackstar amps work IIRC. I was testing a Sansamp preamp at my local store and the Blackstar was not playing with only Loop return plugged in.

Gonkboy likes this.
  11. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

nah, it's just a typical feature (& has been for a while) that's missing or something was malfunctioning or a 1/4" dummy-plug needed inserting at the effects-send; an effects loop on most professionally-intended guitar amps is just an insert, and would normally function as the OP expected, these days.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Gonkboy likes this.