• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What did you do with your CD collection post-digitization?

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I know what the OP means of course, which is after you've ripped them onto a computer. But to be accurate, CD's are already digitized. (I have read through the thread, but somebody may have already pointed that out and I missed it.)

I keep mine.

Guitar55

Who was that masked man?
Gold Supporting Member
I'm in the process of ripping all of mine as WAVs and will then store them away. I'll burn CDs for listening in the car but don't risk scratching up the originals. Sometimes I'll convert to MP3 and make a mix CD with 4-5 albums on it...

So, what's the difference/benefits of FLAC over WAV??

thanks,
No loss of quality, significant space savings.

fetishfrog

That's funny. Really funny. Make everything a federal crime and everyone is a criminal. How do you prove all of this? Very funny.
It is a violation of copyright law to rip a cd and then sell it. It's pretty clearly stated, and has been for years...it's a pretty far leap from this to 'make everything a federal crime'.

fetishfrog

you guys lawyers? You like the blues? Love telecasters?
I like the blues, love telecasters, play a headless guitar in two pretty darn ferocious prog-rock bands, and generally have the attitude of :facepalm toward musicians who choose to violate the laws designed to protect them.

panoramic

I see. I think the laws designed to protect music and musicians are antiquated and perhaps need to be revamped. Actually the whole recording industry needs to be revamped.

and I still own all of my cds.

joseph

keep 'em.
Kept indoors, the life of a CD is probably longer than your children's lifespan, let alone yours.
Dig 'em if you want, but as above use FLAC (preserves the WAV file)...and that's a lotta drive space, even for today's big hard drives.
Hard drives likely have a much shorter lifespan than a CD.
Ever recover/back-up a huge hard-drive?
So I still use/play the 'obsolete' CD ;).

Top Bottom