what difference does dope make

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Groovey Records, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Just want to thank Y'all folks for all the help given in the past

I was wondering

What effect does doping have on a speaker,

Light , medium, heavey doping, whays the difference

and are their differences in the dopes used?

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I cant function on the stuff anymore but I hear they have really strong stuff out these days!

Seriously Ive read its to reduce cone cry and make the surround part of the speaker more durable too like Weber states in the link Blue Strat posted. Bob

3. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I tried doping a couple of speakers that had significant cone cry. If it lessened the cone cry, it was very, very slight. I would apply some, let it dry, mount the speakers, and give it a try. Then, I'd apply another coat, and try, again. I did this probably three, maybe four times, with very little change in the amount of cone cry.

4. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

So their is no magic formula for doping Just that for some reason the PreRoLa's (one of my favorites) is pretty heavy? and some like it lite

Interesting

5. stoo

stoo Member

I htink ithaz none affect* `~
    . / somonze at tha door:messedup
    Stew

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

There is more than one reason for cone cry. Sometimes it's just the speaker itself, specifically it's "resonant frequency". Every speaker can cone cry if it's frequency (unique to that speaker) are reached. Sometimes it's within a guitar/amp frequency range, most time's it isn't. I've had old speakers that had cone cry in some cabs/amps and not others, so there's not one hard, set and fast rule to cone cry, and what produces it.

If a speaker has a bad cone, it may cry no matter what you do to it.

Doping basically acts like a shock absorber for the cone, making the cone last longer by not putting all the stress of the cone movement on just the paper cone itself.

While it can subdue the tone of the speaker slightly, it also is an enhancing effect if the cone is good, and it's been broken in properly.

In my experience, certain cones need more doping than others, sometimes based on which magnet is used with the cone (35 oz M, 50 oz H, etc.). The heavier the magnet, the less the cone moves due to the magnet keeping the cone from reaching it's full excursion. Too light a magnet and the cone can bounce off each end of it's travel, and reduce it's life.

I believe in doping, as it has tone shaping properties as well, if applied in certain thicknesses, amount, width, and where it's put on.

7. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Thanks Jim

That somes it all up pretty well
    and thanks to all for all your past help.