What Digital Delay Nails the DMM?

earwax

I have owned the timefactor and own a timeline. The vintage mode on the timefactor I think gets closer. The timeline sound a little thin to me and the modulation is weaker compared to the timefactor.

S. S. Bender

No digital delay nails the DMM, sorry...

This, and a thousand times this...

To the OP... If you're really into delay, commit to having one great analog unit, and one great digital device on your board. If cost is not an issue, the DMM and a Timeline would cover about any delay sound you would ever need. On more of a budget, the DMM and a Flashback would also be a great combo. I'm waiting until I can actually hear one in the flesh, but a Vox Delaylab might also make a good pairing with a DMM.

TimD

Gold Supporting Member
+ 1 on the Brig. Of all the delays I've owned, it came the closest to the big box DMM I had.

theanalogdream

Silver Supporting Member
You can get the gist of it by using digital (strymon etc) but there's a certain charm in the imperfections of the DMM. The "pouring sand" sound, the overloaded/clipping sound it gets, the wobbly vibrato...none of these things are completely captured by the digital realm yet. It's getting close now...but yeah- everyones ears are different, and everyones needs are different.

100JH

You know I forgot about this...I do agree that a DMM is very unique, but I was playing my Skrecho last night and was getting some really great "DMM-esque" tones. I use the Skrecho in conjunction with an EP-Pre, always. I forgot about this video which is a nice demo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOPuYN1m1dc

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
Subdecay echobox nailed it for me, enough to ditch my original noisey clunky dmm!! I'm actually selling one, not to spam or anything, but if you want it, shoot me a PM. The key is the modulation, and the subdecay really nails it, as well as the character of the repeats. very under-hyped pedal. I ended up with two of them, and one has to go.
Kurt

slopeshoulder

I AB'd and sold my DMM because my Timeline (set right) nailed it in dbucket mode. Now I use it more than dtape even. Wonderful sound.

I have a timeline and a DMM next to each other on my board and in my chain. The Timeline can get so close to it that ill guarantee yo ucant tell the difference, but digital delay just does not have the feel of analogue. Analogue delay seems to follow you and there is a lot to be said for that.

I've had a Timeline and a Deluxe Memory Boy next to each other. And I'm pretty sure you could NOT get the Timeline so close that I couldn't tell the difference (well, maybe not in a band context). The Timeline's dBucket algo is quite good, probably the best analog delay model I've heard so far, but I would still say it doesn't get closer than 85% to the real thing.

slopeshoulder

Well, my ears are GOOD, and after a night of tweaking, the DMM tap tempo blue top went back to the store. Indistinguishable.
BUT the DMM does wild sounds of its own.

XISTH

I wish someone could explain what this elusive thing 'feel' is - in purely sonic terms. Is it something about how the delay volume/repeats/colour change with playing dynamics?

BluesHarp

Id say when the guitar note compresses.. how the harmonic notes or overtones react to your pick attack.
The type of and sequence of parts in a true analogue circuit also produce its own sonic signature.

With technology where it is now, strymon for one is getting closer to that "feel" and many of the subtleties of an analogue circuit.
I have a timeline on the way and im pretty excited to see how it feels in comparison to the excellent sound clips and reviews.

It probably wasnt MADE to exactly mimic the memory man delay.. but the fact that the dbucket is convincing to a true analogue circuit is pretty exciting in itself.

S. S. Bender

My analog delays (ML2, DMM, & Retrosonic) all give me something that my digital units don't. The tone and feel of the repeats immediately bond "As one" sonically with the note(s) or chords I've played. To varying degrees, the tone and feel of all digital delay repeats sound like they are "Hitching a ride" on top of the note(s) or chords.

JVIOLIN

Silver Supporting Member
I may get fruit thrown at me fore saying this. BUT I have a MN3008 DMM here and a MLJR. I thought the MLJR sounded better than the DMM by far, warmer, clearer, and awesome modulation. Where as the DMM was little darker, noisy, and hissy repeats that are known for analog delays. I put my SDD-3kp before the MLJR to get that preamped sound I like from the DMM.
So for me, and SDD-3kp infront of a MLJR wins.
Go ahead and launch fruit. I don't care... lol

S. S. Bender

For my taste I like the sound of the MLJR much better. The ML2 is kinda dark and the modulation on the MLJR is more usable in all settings.

To each his own. Regarding the timbre of the repeats, the ML2 has one of the most flexible and effective external EQ controls that I've heard in any unit, analog or digital. If you think it's "kinda dark," I recommend turning that knob...

Regarding the ML2's modulation section, I find it to be brilliantly designed and implemented. Not only does it offers external individual control over both speed rate and depth, but the response range, and sound character provided by those controls change in a very musically pleasing way between Delay 1 and Delay 2.

The MLJR is very good piece of gear, but "for my taste" will never replace my ML2.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom