What Digital Piano should I get under that's under a grand?

jrcjoseph

As someone who has been a piano player LONG before I ever touched a fretted instrument, but has never gotten into getting a digital piano, I'm finding the need to get one more and more, for two reasons:

1) I need to be able to practice without disrupting everyone else in the house on my upright

and 2) Something to gig with. Reliable, portable, etc.

Since I've started getting into the gear aspect of guitars, basses, and amps I've developed an interest in putting a little money back into my first instrument.

Usually when I do research I see a lot of stuff get into the very expensive ranges, and being only 19 I don't have that kind of money to spend yet. I've really been looking at getting one in the mid-upper hundred range, but am willing to go up to $1000 (really, please, no further) if I absolutely have to. The ones I've been looking at (From cheapest to most expensive) are:

Casio PX150
Yamaha P105
Casio PX350
Roland RD-64 (Only 64 keys and no speakers, but it really looks like what I want and if I ever have to play high parts the octave switching I've seen seems like a non-issue, and I have a Genz-Benz Contour 350w bass amp that's expandable to 350 so I don't think speaker will be an issue if I'm not just in my bedroom with headphones...correct me if I'm wrong).

Is the Roland good? How about the others?

Please help me out by giving me your advice. :aok

pbmw

I have a Casio Privia (330 I think) that is pretty nice.
I think it was about $750 or $800.
I'm pretty sure the PX350 is what replaced it.
Nice versitile keyboard.

Vibrolux

I will second that Privia. I bought the PX350 last year and think it's not just a great value......t sounds and feels very good and has all 88.

jrcjoseph

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I like the PX150 over the P105, but I'll go try them out at my Guitar Center sometime. They have a 350, too, I think....

Do you have a laptop? How do you feel about gigging with a VST?

Pianoteq play for $100 + a Fatar controller would sound and feel good. I used to have a Korg SG rack unit with also coupled nicely with the Fatar. There's one of the Korg units on ebay for $300 or so at the mo'

I have a Privia PX-320. Good deal for the money. If you can swing it, consider the PX5-S, which is just about a grand. I've noticed a lot of pros using it because they like the touch response. Casio has been regularly releasing new sounds for it too.

G Man

Also check out the Kawai line, some decent instruments that compare fairly to the rest.

Trending Topics