• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What dirt pedals do you use on bass?

I'm currently running a Way Huge Red Llama and a BOSS GE-7 in the mix loop of a BOSS LS-2. It's time to change out 3 pedals for one pedal. The big contender is the MXR Bass Distortion. It's a Fuzzrocious RAT with a clean blend.

Whatcha got?

bigtone23

Boss BB1X for the lighter drive sounds, ODB3 for the higher gain stuff. 93 Rat with Ruetz Mod for a variation.

guitargod0dmw

Fairfield Barbershop
Blueberry Bass OD
Pork Loin
Xotic Bass BB Preamp
Darkglass VMTU and B7KU
Creation Audio Grizzly Bass Overdrive
Fuzzrocious Rat Tail and Demon King
Big Game Bedlam v2 (I'll probably grab a v3 shortly)
Brimstone Audio XD2
Blackout Musket v2

I'm definitely forgetting a few. I have a ton of dirt pedals for bass and rotate them fairly often. I usually have 3-4 on my board at any given time.

What kind of sound are you going for?
Do you absolutely need the clean blend?

Devnor

Yes, at gigs I'm using the MXR M85 Bass Distortion. I'm playing around with a Two Notes Le Bass my wife bought me for Xmas. Very cool. I also have a Suncoast P1B which is based on the Pierce amp. Basically Billy Sheehan's tone in a pedal. The Suncoast doesn't play nice with my Epifani cabs so it's studio only but fiercely cool nonetheless.

Toogy

I've been using a Maxon OD808 with my bass lately and dig it. I like a really mid-rangy bright bass tone though. Really cuts through.

sprag

This seems to be the most hated pedal on Talkbass. What is it you like, and clean blend aside, how does it differ from your RAT? They're plentiful and it seems they excel at heavy, which is what I want.
I would've said the second most hated on talkbass. most hated is EH Bass big muff. Ive had both and sold both cos i didn't like them everything else I've sold is cos i needed money. the ODB3 has good tones but is noisy the bass big muff has good tones in the bedroom but disappears completely when playing with a band.
the other pedals i own are
DHA VT2 (my favourite, low to high gain tube amp sounds great for stoner rock)
SSBS TAFM (gated fuzz, Heavy synth sound. gate can be turned off for just heavy not synthy but i never do)
Malekko Bassmaster (plenty of clips on you tube i'll let them do the talking, pretty much clean, dirty, sensitivity controls so really easy to get the tone you want if its your thing)
Way Huge Swollen Pickle (just like a bass big muff only good, more controls to screw up with though)
Darkglass B7K (excellent for modern metal/prog tones, sold it as i needed cash and wasn't playing in a metal/prog band any more)

all opinions are based on what like and my experience through my gear

I would've said the second most hated on talkbass. most hated is EH Bass big muff. Ive had both and sold both cos i didn't like them everything else I've sold is cos i needed money. the ODB3 has good tones but is noisy the bass big muff has good tones in the bedroom but disappears completely when playing with a band.
the other pedals i own are
DHA VT2 (my favourite, low to high gain tube amp sounds great for stoner rock)
SSBS TAFM (gated fuzz, Heavy synth sound. gate can be turned off for just heavy not synthy but i never do)
Malekko Bassmaster (plenty of clips on you tube i'll let them do the talking, pretty much clean, dirty, sensitivity controls so really easy to get the tone you want if its your thing)
Way Huge Swollen Pickle (just like a bass big muff only good, more controls to screw up with though)
Darkglass B7K (excellent for modern metal/prog tones, sold it as i needed cash and wasn't playing in a metal/prog band any more)

all opinions are based on what like and my experience through my gear
Thanks for the opinions. I'm basically sold on the MXR. Just waiting for NAMM to happen to see if anything else comes out I prefer. I dig my setup, so there's no rush.

Jeff Scott

I had an EHX Bass Big Muff for a while but using it I would get totally lost/buried in the mix (but sound fine without it). I now use a tc electronic MOJOMOJO, great sounding pedal.

I also sometimes use my Cave Passive Pedals B-Drive Mk II.

bigtone23

This seems to be the most hated pedal on Talkbass. What is it you like, and clean blend aside, how does it differ from your RAT? They're plentiful and it seems they excel at heavy, which is what I want.
I am able to dial in the ODB3 for a very usable tone-it's gainy, but still thick. The RAT is a little more raw sounding, not as gainy with the Ruetz mod.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom