What distoriton pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HeavyMetalNyge, Feb 4, 2006.

1. HeavyMetalNyge

HeavyMetalNyge Member

I play in a cover band and I'm looking for a nice distortion pedal to use thru my Rivera clubster 45 tube amp. I need a heavy/high gain sound to cover bands like Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Guns N' Roses, etc. What do y'all suggest?
    I started another thread about the SansAmps, but I'd like to know what alternatives are suggested.

2. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

The DNA Analogic Gainfxxker 2 will cover that sonic territory quite nicely. I've owned dozens of distortion boxes, and this one is definitely my favourite.

peace
    -jeff

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

BJF Dyna Red
    EMMA ReezaFRATzitz
    lovepedal Black Magic

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

for only high gain distortion, you can do much worse than a hot british.

I am duly impressed with my marshall jackhammer, though. Great tone to be had

(for the record, I own both. The JH is my backup)

5. carltonh

carltonh Member

For a (good) Dual Recto sound in a pedal, try the MI Audio Tube Zone. Forr a more high gain Marshall tone, MI Audio is just releasing the Crunch Box. Also on the Marshall side is the V-Stack Classic.

6. Tchello

Tchello Member

You should try Keeley DS1 Ultra, a very good high gain pedal.

7. HeavyMetalNyge

HeavyMetalNyge Member

Please tell me more about this pedal. I'm definitely interested. How long have you had it? Is it a pain having another tube to worry about? How much distortion can you get from this thing?

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Using this pedal, you can literally get just about any high-gain distortion out of it, except for ultra-scooped metal (though with my eq pedal, I can get that as well :dude). You can get really good metal (and by metal I mean metallica-type) sounds out of it, though.

This thing really shines for the classic metal tones (think iron maiden/slash/randy rhoads/queen). It's extremely versatile, and can be used in a number of other apps as well, like dance-rock. I use it often, and my band is actually pop with some funk/rock influences. Check out a soundclip of me using it in the bridge of the song "Belong" here: www.purevolume.com/rockgarden (about 2:40 into the song). Basically Les paul -> HB -> line 6 pod pro set on line 6 clean. Little eq-ing done on it, that's the sound I get out of it with the way I have it set.

As for the sound, it responds like an amp. I've tried other distortion pedals, including modded DS-1s and others, and compared to the HB, other pedals are just sterile. It's almost like it anticipates what note you're playing before you play it.

Every knob is ultra sensitive. Turning the low knob from 12-12:30, for example, will make a huge difference in your sound. It's a second guessers worst nightmare.

As for your question "how much distortion can you get out of it", the best way to describe it would be "over the top". I don't think anyone else on the board would disagree with that. I have the "gain" knob set at about 10 o'clock, so that should give you an idea of how much dist. is on tap

I've owned mine for a year (got it off ebay). They say you shouldn't need to replace the tube more than every 2 years, and I haven't had to yet (have a replacement one sitting around at the ready, though!). I've yet to gas for another distortion pedal since......

9. Cokeman

Cokeman Member

How about the Jackhammer? I'm always on the lookout for a decent cheaper pedal. I have a hard time paying over $100 for a pedal. Actually I never have.

What does it compare to? Are there clips anywhere?

10. carltonh

carltonh Member

The Jackhammer is similar to the Metal Zone with slightly different flavor, hard to describe the difference.

Modded Metal Zones can be great, and supposedly Indyguitarist can mod the Jackhammer, and I'd love to hear one. In its original state, both pedals are quite diode-y.

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I like the jackhammer more than my indyguitarist modded ds-1. The only thing I don't like about the jackhammer is it takes away quite a bit of your high end when engaged, so it's probably better for single coil guitars. Very impressed with it, though, especially on the OD setting. Lotta gain to be had from it, and with the gain knob all the way down, you get a clean tone. Really. If there's any dirt, I haven't heard it.

Anyhow, you can try one out in the store. I wouldn't say it's like a metal zone, except for the amount of distortion on it. It's really much smoother sounding. Marshall seems to get it right with their pedals and keep 'em cheap (though the new guv'nor is horrid!). The contour knob with the frequency knob is really cool. You could use this pedal for thrash if you wanted, but also for that full out marshall sound (though it can't compare to the real thing, obviously). It's a great backup pedal

12. el34power

el34power Member

Digitech DF-7. You can get them for pocket change. Best purchase in the last year for me, as far as distortion. You can go from MT-2 to Rat in just a few seconds, not to mention DS-1, 250, TS-9...

13. HeavyMetalNyge

HeavyMetalNyge Member

How do you like that EMMA pedal. I've heard a few good things about it. Anything you don't like about it? Could I get those 80's metal/90's grunge sounds out of it?

14. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Check out CMATMODS especially I think maybe consider getting a Boss MT or DS and then Mod it. I know he just added a "rectifier" mod for the DS I believe which should be balls to the walls in gain ...

15. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Those bands you mentioned don't even use megahard distortion, not even heavy distortion IMO. I can get in that zone with an Les Paul or SG into an OCD. Much punchier and more focused than those distortion pedals mentioned earlier. Just my opinion.