What do I cover my pedalboard in???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aksman, Sep 15, 2008.

1. aksman

aksman Member

I need a slim board to put my pedals on (inside the road case they currently are velcro-stuck directly to). I don't really want to deal with painting it black, so I figured covering it would be easier. What can I use??? A self-adhesive tolex or loop velcro or something would probably be best, but from where????

Help! Dimensions are 16" by 28" (case, not board, so i guess an inch smaller on each side, but i'd need overlap, blah blah blah)

Thanks!

2. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

That carpet-like material used on car speaker cabs is a common choice. Usually sold by the meter/yard at hardware stores. IIRC, velcro sticks to it...

3. aksman

aksman Member

do they make self-adhesive sided kind? or how do i glue it down easily and firmly?

4. crisis

crisis Guest

Self adhesive is pretty useless. I did that on my current board and it gets pulled away when you take the pedals off. Had to use liquid nails to reattach the strips. The only proper way is to use either carpet adhesive for carpet or contact adhesive.

5. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

+1 on using regular carpet adhesive from the local hardware store. I swiped some scraps of velcro-active fabric from work that was designed specifically for building exhibit panels and used carpet adhesive--still holding tight after two years, but my pedals are not really pulled off or changed around very often....

6. aksman

aksman Member

so where do i order this material???

7. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

Here ya go, man.
    http://www.augresources.com/vindex.html?cat55.htm

And when you get the carpet adhesive, get yourself one of those 49 cent plastic trowels and trowel it on thin with the smallest teeth--velcro-active fabric is usally a real loose weave and if the adhesive is too thick it'll soak right through and you'll have a sticky mess!

8. wjrhee

wjrhee Member

you can also take a staple gun to attach the material on, or screws.

9. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I use black duct tape. 4 bucks. Then I go to Sams club and buy a roll of Velcro. 14 bucks. Apply duct tape. Then cut velcro to fit your pedals. I also velcro 2 rubber stops (5 bucks) to lift the backside so it's easier to pick up off the ground. Simple.

10. Soporific

Soporific Member

Cover it in hot chicks! ;)