What do I need for a Legit recording setup

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Qman87, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Qman87

Qman87 Member

I've been using some very rudimentary gear for a while and I wanna invest in some quality stuff. I don't really know how it all works so can someone explain what I need and what exactly each part does?
    Thanks

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

You'll need:

Something to convert the sound to electrical impulses - microphones.

Something to amplify that signal - preamplifiers.

Something to convert the signal to digital information - interface.

Something to store and manipulate that information - computer/software.

Something to allow you to hear what you're doing - monitors.

Everything comes in all price ranges, so if you could give us some detalis as far as price range and what you're trying to accomplish, everyone will pile on...

Loudboy

3. MarkL8

MarkL8 Silver Supporting Member

Go here http://www.tweakheadz.com/index.html spend some time there and you will find answers to all your questions. They also have very helpful forums for all levels of skill in recording.

4. Qman87

Qman87 Member

Thanks for the reply loudboy. I'm thinking around $500. Any ideas?

5. Qman87

Qman87 Member

thanks mark. very helpful

6. devinb

devinb Member

I think on that budget you need to realize that the best recordings you can make will be seriously lacking...

7. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

One can do a suprising bit of damage with a mac, Motu (Ultralite/8 pre/traveller) and a Shure mic or two.

If you already have the mac...then $500 might cover much of it.

8. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'd have to say that w/a used ADAT XT20, a Mackie 1202 a 57 or two and some Chinese condensers, you could make a pretty decent sounding record.

Loudboy

9. nosignal

nosignal Member

you could look into a firewire interface with mic pre's such as the presonus firebox or the motu 8pre. it depends on how many mics you want to use at the same time. i use a firepod, its pretty easy to use. ive not tried a setup with individual mic pre's and interface.

10. Irreverent

Irreverent Member

For around $200, get a Zoom H2. Absolutely astounding sound quality. Then dump the tracks you record into a Mac to master them.

11. devinb

devinb Member

I wasn't trying to be negative, for the record...I personally just feel that home recording has very severe limitations unless you get into enormous amounts of money...if you want to collect equipment as a hobby, spend away, but if you want to make great sounding recordings, you could buy months of studio time for what it would take to get a great home set-up going, and that still leaves you responsible for learning how to make it all work the best together...

I make demos at home, but I would never invest serious amounts of cash in a home studio...

I'm not an engineer, I'm not going to profit in any way from saying this, I'm just giving my honest opinion.

12. Qman87

Qman87 Member

I've got a mac desktop which is what I do all my recording on and just bought a macbook. I mean I have some really basic gear like I mentioned before but I'm committing my desktop to mainly recording. If I have to spend more I will I just wanted to see if I could get a solid setup going with $500. I'm just getting into recording so I'm not gonna drop an exorbitant amount of money right off the bat. I feel like it's one of those things where you start off small and keep adding components as you understand more about it.

13. devinb

devinb Member

I know what you're saying, I think that idea of adding components is what's scary for me...

I recently all but finished tracking my parts on an EP...my parts being acoustic, voice, and a tiny bit of piano/rhodes...

I did 5 songs...vocals on all of them, acoustic on 4, piano on one, and rhodes on one, and so far I've spent 7 and a half hours...even at an outrageous rate, that wouldn't come close to adding up to the cost of one of the mics I used.

I think home recording can work for the right artists...I actually listen to a lot of things that were recorded in home studios (early Iron and Wine, some Elliott Smith as two examples)...it's rare when I listen to them and don't feel that the quality is poor, despite loving the music...and ultimately, home set-ups can be extremely expensive without approaching the results of a well designed studio.

I agree home recording can be a fun hobby, but I think there is a real cost pitfall in it...time in a cool studio is extremely enjoyable and memorable, yields better results, and probably can be much cheaper...

For the cost of the two mics being used on my acoustic in this picture, I could book 100 hours in this studio (B control room), or a little less than half that amount of time in the A room...the studio is super cool, built in the 1940's, and The Beatles played a live radio broadcast from it...I also get a very knowledgeable engineer. I wouldn't want to begin to add up the value of everything I have access to there...

[​IMG]