What do I need for a setup like this? (ProTools)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by DBornack, Dec 7, 2004.

1. DBornack

DBornack Guest

When I recorded a single for my band's album.. we did a layer track with my guitars that was basically direct...

I want a setup like that for home recording..

Basically, it was a pro tools rig, with a MAC G4..

I just dont have the understanding of how that exactly works..

I was playing my guitar plugged into I think a Marshall that they were just using for a preamp or something.. and it went from there into some gear, and it went through Pro Tools and through the AmpFarm plug in, and the guitar sound was coming out of the monitors live..

What are the minimal things I need for a rig like this? I will already own a tube head, etc for live gigging.. but sometimes I want to be able to record direct without micing a cab, and making alot of noise.. Im going to be moving into a condo, and dont want to disturb people with my playing..

Thanks In advance..

Also.. here is a pic of what my studio had, if it helps to know what they had there..

www.bornack.net/dsc03632.jpg
    www.bornack.net/dsc03633.jpg

2. stratofied

stratofied Member

The most economical Pro Tools set up is the Mbox. I suggest some reading here.
    http://duc.digidesign.com/

3. DBornack

DBornack Guest

Yes..

I am very familiar with the MBox.. I have't played through one.. but Im worried bauot the USB port being an issue with it being very slow compared to that of firewire..

Im not looking for a super low bidget either.. I wont mind spending 2-3k on this setup..

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

That studio has a ProTools HD system, their top of the line which starts around $10K. They have some very nice gear. But you don't need all that to do something similar to what they did.

I'm guessing (since that's all I can do) that they went from the Marshall (or maybe it was that SWR in the pic... not sure what it is) into a preamp, maybe a compressor from there, and then into one of the HD's inputs. Once in ProTools they use the Amp Farm plug-in to simulate a speaker cab.

It's less complicated than you might think. If it was difficult, we wouldn't see so many people doing it. :)

MBox's lowest latency setting is too high for pro studio use. You hear an small but audible delay. It's handy while on the road, but the Digi 002 is a much better system. Thousands of pros have 002 or 001 systems in their homes. If you already have a Mac, with your budget you could get a 002 Rack, a SM57 for your guitar and a very decent vocal mic and have money left over. The mic pres on the 002 are good enough to get started with.

There is a plug-in called Amplitube that comes with the 002 that's similar to Amp Farm, but lacking that very expensive front end you had in the studio, focus on using the amp you already have to get the best tone possible then learn to mic it properly. If you can't nail the tone you're looking for with your amp, then maybe spend money on a better amp. That front end stuff in the pictures would set you back tens of thousands and to be honest, would be a complete waste at this stage.

Any time you're in a studio, don't be afraid to ask the engineer what your signal chain is. Most of them don't mind sharing their techniques.

5. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Michael gave some great advice. One other option for using the amp is to go from the speaker out into a load box with a line-out. This lets you turn the amp up and get the power tubes working, but the load box lets you get by without using a speaker. Then you can use one of the software packages that do speaker simulation to make it sound "real." I think that Ed Degenaro has posted some clips using this approach.
    Another option is to use an isolation cabinet with the amp, which will keep volumes down, but you still have a microphone on a speaker.

Bryan

6. DBornack

DBornack Guest

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.. I hope a Mac G5 and a DIgi002 will suit my needs..

This is all I need yes? The 002 will go via firewire into protools, and I can use Amplitube for my sound??

I want to be able to be completely ampless, or at least cabless.. I dont mind using my head for a pre..

But can I use the 002 for a pre, and go frmo the guitar direct into it?

Thanks again

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

A G5 and Digi002 is a great setup. You might want to look into a second hard drive and a get a lot of RAM for the computer. The Digi002 has pres, so you can run your guitar straight into it if you like. Then you add the guitar sim stuff via Amplitube within Pro Tools.

If you are going to use your amp, then you'll need to put he load box between the speaker output and the preamp on the Digi002. You could also just use the effects send on the amp if you don't want to deal with the speaker out, but you'll still need to have some sort of a load on the output side of the amp to keep it happpy (speaker, load box, etc.). Once you have the amp's signal in the computer you'll add speaker sims via Amplitube within Pro Tools.

Hope this helps,
    Bryan

8. DBornack

DBornack Guest

It helps a bunch.. I thought I needed much more equipment than that..

This is actually making me very happy..

I'm a computer freak, so I will definately have a great G5 setup..

One more question.. I'm more of a PC guy, but want to get a Mac for a couple of reasons: 1) Video/DVD Authoring 2) Protools.. 3) Web Development..

Can I run this exact setup that you guys have laid out for me with a PC?

9. DBornack

DBornack Guest

Also..

What are the differences between to 002 Rack, and the 002 with the control console?

WIth the control Console, can I record with 8 mics simultaneously?

Thanks again..

10. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

The only way you can record 8 mics simultaniously, with either 002, is if you have 4 outboard mic pres - the 002 only has 4 mic pres, the other 4 inputs are line pres.

11. DBornack

DBornack Guest

So what am I gaining by going with the Console instead of just the rack?

And can I add the console later to the rack if I decide I want a physical control surface?

12. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

Personally, i think the console is not worth an extra $1000. And no, you can't add it later - however you could get one of a number of 3d-party "dumb controllers" that are out there.

13. stratofied

stratofied Member

Actually you can add it later. The Digidesign Command 8 is very similar. I do agree that it isn't necessary though.

14. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Just faders and knobs. It also become a standalone 8x4 mixer or something like that. Not worth the extra money IMO.

Yeah, look at mackie's HUI offerings, those are quite excellent, the digi command 8 is a bit pricey for what it offers.

With a G5, you can buy all kinds of plugins that will help you get a good sound.