What do I need here? Overdrive/distortion/fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HughesP, Feb 20, 2012.

1. HughesP

HughesP Member

So I just started playing in a new cover band that literally plays everything under the sun... from smooth jazz, motown, to lady gaga, to 90s grunge, 80s pop, classic rock, etc...

I've done gigs like this in the past, and got a lot of different sounds simply by adjusting the gain levels on the pedals I own (I run a GGG-Octavia Fuzz - TS-808 -> Paul C Timmy) into a DRRI, and stacking overdrives as needed.

The difference with this new band is that I'm singing A LOT more than ever before, and no longer have time to fiddle with settings on pedals between songs. Played a gig saturday, and for 90% of the songs, my tone was great, but for a few songs, I just didn't have the gain I needed - particularly when I wanted a rock rhythm guitar sound. I'm thinking I need some sort of way of setting up a rhythm guitar distorted/overdriven sound without adding much volume.

If it helps, some of the songs where I have been struggling with are:

Buddy Holly - Weezer
    Summer of 69 - Bryan Adams
    Raise Your Glass - Pink (just in the chorus)
    Don't Stop Believing - Journey.

I don't care about recreating the exact tones, just a general purpose overdrive/distortion/fuzz that will be able to serve me in a variety of purposes for a "rock" rhythm sound without a lot of volume boost.

Any suggestions?

2. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

On the cheap, I get that versatility with a Jekyll & Hyde. I've been told that a Jet Drive would be an upgrade from the J & H with similar versatility.