What do I need to achieve this setup

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Nick31, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Nick31

Nick31 Member

so I just got my axe-fx, this morning in fact. Right now I'm not sure I want to spend 800 bucks or so for a QSC/JBL loudspeaker since Fractal Audio is working on some speaker thing. So instead of buying some cheap behringer speaker I thought I'd buy in-ear monitors that I'll keep using.

My drummer has a local, really nice place, long waiting list to get in. He has a special spot for drummers, there's 2 of them there. We're not allowed to jam in the place. Only drummers are allowed to practice there. We don't have any other place to jam right now. So I thought with the Axe-Fx, I could setup something so we could have my guitar sound in our ear/headphones. However, I'm not sure what gear it will take to make it work. I'm sure it's nothing too hard to do but I don't know what would be best.

2. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Run a pair of cables from the 2 unbalanced outputs into a headphone amp. I use a PreSonus HP4, which gives you 4-channels. Then just plug whatever headphones you like into the HP4 or whatever headphone amp you are using. Set the levels for each individual headphone, and you're good to go.

FVB

3. Nick31

Nick31 Member

cool thanks, it's like I thought, it fits with the rig I took from Tweak headz site and posted in the mixerless approach thread

btw, is the HP4 a good headphone amp ? I guess there's some out there that cost 2gigabillion dollars but for the price does it do a great job ? I'm thinking to buy some higher end earphones.

4. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

The HP4 is Ok -- it has a lot of headroom and sufficient volume. The are several other companies like Rolls and Behringer that make prosumer level headphone amps in the same price range. There are also much more expensive units available like the DACS Clarity HeadLite 2 or the Grace Design m902 intended for professional studio use. If I were putting together a rig like the one you're interested in I would probably get a Furman HA6-AB headphone amp and Grado SR125 headphones. I've seen some people on TGP and on other forums report some reliability issues with Presonus stuff, but I haven't had any problems with the HP4 or several other pieces of Presonus gear.

FVB

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  5. Nick31

Nick31 Member

I think I'd rather go with earphones rather than headphones because I'd use them live also, and I'm not sure I'd use headphones live.