What do I need to record??

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ShortyK, Jul 6, 2004.

1. ShortyK

ShortyK Member

Ok, the bug has bitten. Someone please explain in detail what I need to get to start recording on my computer. I know nothing about it. Looking to spend around $500.00..........

S

2. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

I would say buy an M-Box from Digidesign, it will give you the interface for mics and instrument and Pro-Tools LE as well.

A studio in a box as it includes all the FX you need to get started.

You can then add on a control surface when you get into it or upgrade to a Digi 002.

There are cheaper options but if you want a system that just works go for the M-Box.

I'm sure the other learned people will chip in too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41784&item=3734750112&rd=1

3. ShortyK

ShortyK Member

Thanks Gary. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Alot of people post clips of their mpg's and I wanted to add mine. Been lurking here for awhile now and decided to actively participate! Question, with the Line in, will I be able to run directly from my amp to the MBox?

ShortyK

4. BUDDADRIVE

BUDDADRIVE Guest

what he said.

I like the Lexicon Omega too. The Cakewalk software that it comes with may not be as nice as the low end Pro Tools (I'm not sure), but it has the Lexicon 'verb and it gets you used to Cakewalk/Sonar. I use the Omega with Sonar Producer when I am not using the full-on Aardvark Q10 set up.

o' course a solid machine with a lot of RAM and drive space helps. I run two drives myself.

5. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

It will be Ok so long as your amp has a line or slave output like the send on an fx loop. You can not use the speaker outputs unless you use a power soak type Direct Injection box as the level will be too high. A line input is 0.775 volts and your amp speaker output will be 10-20 volts so you could cause serious damage and it will distort.

It won't sound too good though even if you are using a line out as it is best to use a pod or an FX pedal which has a speaker simulated output to go into a line input.

You are best mic-ing your guitar amp but as I said if you have a multi fx pedal or a pod then you can record direct into the line input with one of those.

The M-box comes with a software mixing console so you can add eq, reverb and even compression from there.

It has 32 audio tracks and for the money is good value and will give you an upwardly expandable system that is used in most recording studios.

6. ShortyK

ShortyK Member

Once again Gary, just what I need to hear. I'm running a THD Univalve, but I think the idea of a mic seems a little more "expandable" than running from the Line Out.

Thanks,

sK

7. leond

leond Member

+1 for the Mbox

It took me a little while to figure out ProTools but now that I'm starting to get it, there's a lot that can be done with the software. There are free on-line videos that helped a lot.

It's a complete setup. All you'll need is the Mbox, computer, guitar, amp and mike.

LeonD

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

There ya go... now make great music! :)