What do people at Fender make of Gibson's bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 5F6-A, May 1, 2018.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Member

They were competitors for so long.... I wonder how the 'other' big guitar manufacturing company feel about it? happy? scared? excited? saddened?
    Food for thought I guess...

2. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

There but for the grace of god go I.

Fender isn't exactly in great shape either.

asatbender, hank57, Ayrton and 5 others like this.
  3. ToneLounge

ToneLounge Guitar Maker Silver Supporting Member

We all need healthy competition. Taylor needs a healthy Martin, Coke needs Pepsi, Nike needs Adidas, et al.

lifeson1, 440gtx6pak, Edmond and 7 others like this.
  4. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Unless someone here works for a Fender, or Fender releases a statement, we have no idea.

5. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

I bet Fender is more concerned over the Silver Sky than they are in Gibson's troubles. I doubt anyone with their heart set on a LP or SG or ES whatever will go to Fender's line; there are lots of other makers of Gibson types to take up that slack.

Now if Hamer was still around, they'd probably be excited. And this might give Heritage a goose.

Washburnmemphis and tamader74 like this.
  6. bob-i

bob-i Member

Gibsons bankruptcy has more to do with investments other than guitars from what I understand. I would imagine Fender is more concerned about the general health of the market than losing a competitor. JMO

seasound64, Edmond, Faded and 4 others like this.
  7. prototype

prototype Member

its funny, in terms of retail sales Coke has absolutely crushed Pepsi for decades. For much of the last few years Coke was the #1 soda, and Diet Coke was #2, with Pepsi coming in third. As a company, Pepsi is largely profitable because of their other holdings: Lays/Doritos, Gatorade, Tropicana and for a long time they also owned Taco Bell and Pizza Hut through a subsidiary before spinning them off. They are of comparable size only because Coca Cola is not as well diversified.

5F6-A likes this.
  8. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    Fender and other brands should see this as an opportunity to take away market share.

sportycliff and C-4 like this.
  9. klatuu

klatuu Member

From our point of view I don’t think we will see any noticeable change from Gibson. They’re still making guitars every single day.

10. webe123

webe123 Member

Don't forget there is also PRS guitars.

11. wox

wox Supporting Member

I'm certain Fender is keenly aware of the decline of the guitar, and figuring out how best to address it.

I think products like the new California acoustics are a step in the right direction.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  12. Graffiti Yellow

Graffiti Yellow Member

If Fender is smart they will worry about and focus on their own house, not Gibson’s.

13. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

Which is different than any other day how? I like (many) Gibsons, and Gibson does their thing. I like (many) Fenders, and Fender does their thing. I'd like both to ditch some of the "traditionalist" baggage and join the modern world but a large part of their customers don't want modern, which is really an untenable position in a lot of ways. Maybe they could do a better job of "modern" and "traditional" lines, but then how many people would buy both ends of the spectrum? How any people buy identical guitars? How many would buy cosmetically very similar but ergonomically disparate guitars?

Maybe I can write that a bit more clearly. Say you like modern-featured Telecasters. Maybe you love your compound, 12-16" radius, body contour, chambered body, double binding, non-edged bridges and pickups with medium-to-high output. Maybe you have a Sunburst finish.

If you're wanting another guitar, are you more likely to buy the same guitar in black? Or something similar, say no binding and lower output pickups (which Fender also offers). How many would jump to an early 50s spec from that? And how many would buy a SG to have something that does something different for variety?

Obviously building brand loyalty is big, but if their partisans are that entrenched, are Gibson's going to be any less so?

14. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

All true, and Coke is a vastly superior product as well. Kids like Pepsi.

15. Boeing bloke

Boeing bloke Member

Having worked at a company that went through a restructuring I can safely say...I wouldn’t wish it on anybody.

Positions will be cut and unprofitable divisions will get axed. Real people be losing their jobs and have to find other work. I think we should keep this in mind as we comment away.

I did lose my job in that case and my heart goes out to those who are facing this stressful time.

16. +3kk!

+3kk! Member

Whats happening with fender, dont remember hearing anything bda about them

17. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

They probably yawned.

lowyaw and Gevalt like this.
  18. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    While I agree existing brand loyalty isn’t going to change, the opportunity to take away new buyer sales from Gibson is likely if the bankruptcy precedings weaken the brand and/or it’s ability to bring product to market. Today’s BK announcement is just the start of an uncertain outcome for Gibson.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  19. ToneLounge

ToneLounge Guitar Maker Silver Supporting Member

Agreed. Market share is acknowledged, and I believe mind share is also important. Two brands telling you to drink (marketing) fuzzy sodas is better than only one. When Martin says it will cost you $4,000 for a nice acoustic, then Taylor gets to ask a similar price. Fender needs a healthy Gibson and PRS.

20. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Fender are probably doing their Muahaha laugh while steepling their fingers & thinking about price increases.

Rumble likes this.