• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What do the "R" values indicate on Les Pauls?

Wolfboy1

Grandpa but...Not Yet Old!
Silver Supporting Member
Probably seems like a stupid question but I see "R8" etc. around here a lot and I always assumed it had something to do with the wood quality but I really have no clue.

HyakuShiki

I know it stands for "Reissue." I could be wrong, but I think the number indicates the year. For instance, R8 = Reissue of 1958 or R0 = Reissue of 1960. I could be wrong with the numbers, but that's my guess.

Yogi_Sizzle

Probably seems like a stupid question but I see "R8" etc. around here a lot and I always assumed it had something to do with the wood quality but I really have no clue.
I'm pretty sure it stands for Reissue and the # is the year its replicating. So a R8 is a 1958 Les Paul Reissue. an R0 is a 1960, R9 1959 etc... Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Wayne Alexander

Gold Supporting Member
That is correct. In the Les Paul Historic line, R (followed by a number) means Gibson Custom Shop Historic Reissue - the number is the last number of the year - 4=1954, 7=1957, 8=1958, 9=1959, 0=1960.

Oncaster

I just clicked because I was curious about it too. I just thought a lot of people on this forum liked Audi R8s

Wolfboy1

Grandpa but...Not Yet Old!
Silver Supporting Member
Thank's all, another mystery in my life resolved :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom