What do those Fralin P-92s sound like?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by NoahL, Jan 6, 2008.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

I've read around on these, but I can't seem to get any kind of consensus. Do these sound like humbuckers? Like the old Fender Wide-Range pups? Like P-90s? Like regular single-coils but without hum? Even when I called Fralin's shop, the guy I talked to got me confused. Probably because I was expecting to hear some of the things I'd read. Especially interested in what they sound like in the neck of a Tele... compared to a regular Tele neck pickup, for example.

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Tough one to put into words.
    They're not at all like humbuckers...not even close.
    They sound like gutsy (powerful) single coils without noise and a very sweet, emphasized high end that's not at all harsh.
    The lows are full but don't get woofy like a humbucker can.
    Check out the P-92 clips on Jim Soloway's site here:

http://www.jimsoloway.com/CompletedSwans/G177-392Number1/GalleryG177.htm

3. Guitarmatt818

Guitarmatt818 Member

I agree with Flyin' Brian's description. The tone is unique, combining elements from both humbuckers and single coils. I have one in the neck of my Tele, and its very quickly becoming one of my favorite pickups. I have it paired with a Fralin Blues Special in the bridge, and the middle position is amazing.

4. NoahL

NoahL Member

LOL. See, now YOU guys are doing it: one says "not at all like a humbucker," the other says "combines elements of both HB and SC." Well, I take your word for it that they're good. Thanks!

5. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Funny bunch we are. I'd say that the output and the way they drive amps and pedals is pretty humbucker-like. The big difference to me is the low end. I think the P-92s are much more detailed, like taking a blanket off of a speaker.

6. Guitarmatt818

Guitarmatt818 Member

Haha. I hope I don't add to the confusion by trying to clarify further. P-92s have the smoothness and compression of a humbucker, but with the clarity and detail of a single coil.

I personally think they sound like a bigger, ballsier version of a tele neck pickup. I don't have any P90s which which people sometimes compare it to.

And... Despite only having one "set" of poles, the P-92 is fully hum-cancelling like a normal humbucker.

7. mainsale

mainsale Member

They have become my favorite pickup and get me closer to that tone I hear in my head that anything else so far. They work great it Tele's, LP's and 335/6's. I love their dynamics, clarity, sweetness, articulation and snap.

[​IMG]

8. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

I have a 9k neck 10k bridge set in my alder/maple tele. In terms of output, it keeps up with my humbucker guitars very nicely. It's also as "huge" sounding as my humbucker guitars. It also balances in brightness with my humbucker guitars so I don't have to fiddle with my amp settings mid-gig, although the overall character is a bit different. These have detail, clarity, and a top end sparkle the humbuckers can't match.

Dare I say, they twang, maybe not like a vintage tele, but certainly more than any humbucker I've ever heard. I would compare them to vintage Fender Wide Range humbuckers in that sense, having played a '74 tele deluxe recently during some studio time. However, the tele Deluxe didn't quite have the output of my hotter wound P-92s.

P-92s have a grittyness when doing palm mutes and single note runs. During chording under gain, they fill out very nicely while retaining really good string to string clarity.

9. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Anyone know how they compare, sonically, to Duncan Phat Cats...?

10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Sweeter on the top end and a little less push in the mids.

11. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

Shun the P92's. They are bad. Like experimenting with cocaine, this dabbling with P92's may at first seem like a casual act of curiosity. They will suck you in and seize your soul. Listen to one who is still in the throes of this addiction. I was once experimenting with neck pickups and Lindy said, 'Here, try this, it's good, you will like it.' I now find myself placing these in the neck position of just about everything with a humbucker route. Where there is no humbucker route, I have gone to extreme measures to create one (currently buying new pickguard for a Grosh). I feel like I am loosing any joy in variety. Everything must be P92'ized. Please don't be drawn in. Don't listen to Soloway's clip. Just know that some things are best left alone. Be strong.

12. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I chose them over phat cats for the quite operation and the fact that most people who put them in Les Pauls had good results. I have played phat cats on an SG and loved them. I put the 92's in my Limited Edition Les Paul and they were a big improvement; clear - less mud.